Sick chicken concern?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gaust, Oct 11, 2011.

1. gaust

gaust New Egg

Oct 11, 2011
    I have 5 NH reds that i raised from chicks this spring, they started laying a few months back, however about a month ago one of them seemed lethargic and seemed to have a "head cold". She seemed to be a little congested, and was shaking her head occasionally and wheezing a tiny bit. She did not seem to have any nasal discharge or anything like that though. We isolated her immediately and noticed that she had diarrhea and was not eating much and had stopped laying. She seemed to have a very watery crop at this time also. We started treating her with electrolytes and nutrients and she seemed to recover her appetite somewhat and seemed more energetic. Around this time she laid a "lash" egg. Since then she has never laid again, the diarrhea continued and we added diatomaceous earth to her food and Durvet Duramycin 10 to her water. She now seems healthy and happy, but is significantly lighter than her peers. The diarhea seems to have abated. So, is she safe to put back in with the others? Will she ever lay again? I hate to put her down but I certainly don't want to put the other 4 at risk. Curretnly the isolated chicken is in a pen in my garage but with cold weather approaching she needs to go back to the coop or.....go.....

2. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    I'm not sure what to do. I just know how rough it is seeing all the reads and 0 responses.

In any case, I'm fairly certain she will lay again. I know they'll stop if they are stressed, but eventually return to laying.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by