Sick chicken. Have no clue what is wrong!

macdowall

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 15, 2012
I have a 2 year old Barred Rock. One of thirteen. I noticed 9 days ago she didn't come out for treats. She was hiding and looked like she did not feel well so I isolated her.

Over the past nine days, she has barely ate. I have managed to get her to eat egg, grapes, soft stuff only, no pellets. She has also been drinking but not a lot of that either.

She is lethargic. Her poop is bright green but she is barely eating. She seems to have a sound coming from her occasionally almost like a stomach rumble. When she lays down, she has wheezy breathing. Only when laying down though. She also has been scratching at her nose.

I put her on antibiotics 4 days ago but I am seeing no improvement. She isn't getting better or worse but I know she is pretty weak from hardly any food.

Please help!!

Visually inspect her for lice/mites, especially around the vent area. Worm her and your other birds with either valbazen or safeguard.

Last edited:
I started her on a wormer last night. I hope this works as i have no idea what else to do. Looked her over and don't see any external parasites. Does anyone know how long to give her the dewormer in her water and about how long it takes to see any type of improvement in her?

I have a 2 year old Barred Rock. One of thirteen. I noticed 9 days ago she didn't come out for treats. She was hiding and looked like she did not feel well so I isolated her.

Over the past nine days, she has barely ate. I have managed to get her to eat egg, grapes, soft stuff only, no pellets. She has also been drinking but not a lot of that either.

She is lethargic. Her poop is bright green but she is barely eating. She seems to have a sound coming from her occasionally almost like a stomach rumble. When she lays down, she has wheezy breathing. Only when laying down though. She also has been scratching at her nose.

I put her on antibiotics 4 days ago but I am seeing no improvement. She isn't getting better or worse but I know she is pretty weak from hardly any food.

Please help!!
Besides worming as Dawg53 mentioned,check her for crop issues,such as impact or sour crop. Green poop indicates not eating/starvation.

She is now having a hard time breathing when she tries to lie down. She has to keep getting up because she can't seem to breathe well except when standing. When she lays down I can hear the rasping. This is driving me crazy! What can I do for her?

Back
Top Bottom