Sick chicken? Help!

stacey10

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2017
i found flystrike on my chicken! I think I found it right away. The skin wasn't broke and no wound visible. I gave her a salt bath after I washed the maggots off with a hose and have washed her behind the last couple days. There haven't been anymore maggots. She hasn't stopped eating or drinking at any point but she has been withdrawn. She makes a silly noise when she is pooping and her poop is like water. Does anybody have any idea what is going on with her. I'm worried about her getting my other chickens sick.

I did have her separated for one night but she doesn't have a wound or blood so I did put her back with the rest of them. They haven't bothered her. But now I'm worried that there could be more then the flystrike. She is in the roost and down on the sand is a lot of clear liquid. Would she still be healing if the skin wasn't broken? Is it normal for her to still have clear liquid coming out? These are my first flock of chickens.

Can you post a few pictures of the area you found the maggots?

Is taking some of her fresh poop tomorrow to the nearest vet for a fecal test an option or not?

Have you ever wormed your flock?

What is your weather like?
What exactly do you feed your chickens, feed/and or treats?

The easiest way I know how to add a video here on BYC is to upload it first to youtube then copy the link to the video and paste it here.

I did read most of it. I feel like I found the maggots right away and washed her the best I could. She has been out free ranging with the rest of the girls but her behind just keeps getting so messy. Does it take a while to get better if she didn't even have a wound? I feed them organic pellets and I do give them organic scratch grains. I sometimes put acv in their water and other treats I give them are scraps from my kitchen like fruits and veggies. It has been hot here but I have a large waterer out in there ranging area and another in the coop. I don't even know if I could bring in fecal samples. It's just clear liquid. I can see from where she's roosting that there are wet spots from her bottom in the sand.

Back
Top Bottom