Sick chicken laying soft shelled egg

Waterfaery

Crowing
10 Years
Jan 23, 2014
Ireland
One of my hens suddenly started acting unwell yesterday. She doesn't seem to be eating very much and she has diarrhea.

She was acting very lethargic last night and I honestly thought we were going to lose her. I isolated her and tried to keep her as comfortable as possible. Her crop was quite empty last night and she only barely picked at treats we gave her. This morning she is foraging around and she has definitely eaten some of her food. She has also laid a soft shelled egg.

I have actually just started worming all of my birds because one of my peahens has diarrhea and I found a worm in her poo. None of the others are acting sick in any way, including the one with the worm in her poo. Could worms be what's up with the sick hen? I have started treating all of my birds with Fenbendazole so I'm hoping that will perk her up. I don't even know if worms could cause a soft shelled egg?

What are some other things that can cause soft shelled eggs and what else can I try doing for her?

One of my hens suddenly started acting unwell yesterday. She doesn't seem to be eating very much and she has diarrhea.

She was acting very lethargic last night and I honestly thought we were going to lose her. I isolated her and tried to keep her as comfortable as possible. Her crop was quite empty last night and she only barely picked at treats we gave her. This morning she is foraging around and she has definitely eaten some of her food. She has also laid a soft shelled egg.

I have actually just started worming all of my birds because one of my peahens has diarrhea and I found a worm in her poo. None of the others are acting sick in any way, including the one with the worm in her poo. Could worms be what's up with the sick hen? I have started treating all of my birds with Fenbendazole so I'm hoping that will perk her up. I don't even know if worms could cause a soft shelled egg?

What are some other things that can cause soft shelled eggs and what else can I try doing for her?
How old is she? How long has she been laying? What food do you feed her? Do you have calcium (oyster shells) out for her?

How old is she? How long has she been laying? What food do you feed her? Do you have calcium (oyster shells) out for her?
Sorry, I forgot to say, she is almost 2 years old now and has been laying since last Spring. Her main diet is layers pellets but we do give them all treats from the vegetable garden, mostly greens but occasionally fruit. There are 5 hens in an area about 25m2 so they do a bit of foraging as well. Yes, she does have oyster shell.

Sorry, I forgot to say, she is almost 2 years old now and has been laying since last Spring. Her main diet is layers pellets but we do give them all treats from the vegetable garden, mostly greens but occasionally fruit. There are 5 hens in an area about 25m2 so they do a bit of foraging as well. Yes, she does have oyster shell.
https://thefrugalchicken.com/chickens-laying-soft-eggs/

this may give you some information. What percentage is the layer pellets?

My hen has perked up quite a bit over the course of the day. She's not completely back to herself but the improvement is encouraging. She's been eating and drinking and acting generally normally, foraging around but just a little bit more restful and not quite as lively as the others. Her crop is much fuller than yesterday but it isn't completely full like the other hens. I'm a bit worried about that.

She still has diarrhea, as do my peahens. The peafowl have had 3 doses of Fenbendazole now and the chickens have had 2. Would it be normal for the diarrhea to continue for a while during a Fenbendazole treatment?

Back
Top Bottom