Sick chicken, may be anemia or low on vitamins

Jennifer010605

Chirping
Jul 10, 2023
My orange Rhode land chicken has her comb very light pink and a shade mixed with yellow and white. She was taken to the vet and they said she is low on vitamin or has anemia. I can’t remember because I wasn’t the one who took her. Her comb is very low, it’s literally in her eyes and it’s peeling almost as if it’s so dry. Was wondering if anyone knows any advice, tips, or recommendations that have made their sick chickens feel better. I also know she has a water belly. Does anyone know how to treat these two issues my chicken has? I know recently she ate a necklace a few months ago and I’m sure it’s still in her. This may be an affect to it, but even with that necklace the medicine they gave her had her feeling better except I know it’s In her system still so this def might be an issue causing her sickness.

My orange Rhode land chicken has her comb very light pink and a shade mixed with yellow and white. She was taken to the vet and they said she is low on vitamin or has anemia. I can’t remember because I wasn’t the one who took her. Her comb is very low, it’s literally in her eyes and it’s peeling almost as if it’s so dry. Was wondering if anyone knows any advice, tips, or recommendations that have made their sick chickens feel better. I also know she has a water belly. Does anyone know how to treat these two issues my chicken has? I know recently she ate a necklace a few months ago and I’m sure it’s still in her. This may be an affect to it, but even with that necklace the medicine they gave her had her feeling better except I know it’s In her system still so this def might be an issue causing her sickness.
I'm sorry about your hen.

Do you have photos of her and her poop?

What was the medicine the vet gave her when she swallowed the necklace?

She may be suffering from metal toxicity since she swallowed the necklace and I suppose she never passed it (?)

Does she lay eggs? You mention you know she has Water Belly (Ascites), is this because you feel fluid in the abdomen or did the vet diagnose it?
The paleness, anemia, fluid, lethargy, etc. are symptoms of Metal Toxicity.

Did the vet not suggest anything for the anemia? I would give her beef liver or some red meat (beef) - cooked and chopped/ground up, along with her normal feed. You can also give her poultry vitamins like Poultry Cell (1cc per 3 pounds of weight) once every 3 days or so.

Draining the fluid from the abdomen might may her more comfortable for a short period of time. Your vet can drain the fluid or you can find videos on YouTube about how to do this.

Do keep in mind, these are supportive care measures to bring comfort to your hen. If she's clearly suffering and in misery even with offering supportive care, talk to your vet about what other options there may be. Consider her quality of life daily.

https://bitchinchickens.com/2020/09/28/hardware-disease-metal-toxicity-in-chickens/

She may be suffering from metal toxicity since she swallowed the necklace and I suppose she never passed it (?)

Does she lay eggs? You mention you know she has Water Belly (Ascites), is this because you feel fluid in the abdomen or did the vet diagnose it?

Did the vet not suggest anything for the anemia? I would give her beef liver or some red meat (beef) - cooked and chopped/ground up, along with her normal feed. You can also give her poultry vitamins like Poultry Cell (1cc per 3 pounds of weight) once every 3 days or so.

Draining the fluid from the abdomen might may her more comfortable for a short period of time. Your vet can drain the fluid or you can find videos on YouTube about how to do this.

Do keep in mind, these are supportive care measures to bring comfort to your hen. If she's clearly suffering and in misery even with offering supportive care, talk to your vet about what other options there may be. Consider her quality of life daily.

https://bitchinchickens.com/2020/09/28/hardware-disease-metal-toxicity-in-chickens/
Hey thanks for your response and support. Very thankful the person @ you. Huge thanks to them too.

Today I visited her and she was laying on the ground on her side, her eyes were shut and she wasn’t moving. When I touched her she opened her eyes. She was alive at that moment thankfully. But I know she probably won’t last over night. We fed her through a syringe from the vet that’s used for her medicine and we also gave her hella water. She is unable to eat on her own, she can’t get up, her bones it’s so bad it’s literally showing. A huge bone under her shoes. She has a HUGE pouch on her abdomen. She most def has water belly. She has no energy she can’t even lift herself up nor her head. She can’t walk. Her bump is so heavy for her. I honestly have a feeling it’s from metal poisoning. I’m unsure about the medicine they gave her because I moved out so I don’t give them to her anymore but I know when I was living at my moms house, one was to poop more and the other was to make her feel better I think. That’s when we took her the first time when she was diagnosed with that necklace inside of her where she ate from our garage, they did the needle draining on her, medicine, shots, and X-rays… she indeed did get much better over time. Now she got much worse, worse then ever I’ve never seen her like how her conditions are now. She’s so skinny bro I have a feeling it’s metal poisoning. She is very skinny, no energy, lethargic, isn’t eating or drinking on her own because she physically can’t she needs help. The vet did tell us she won’t last long. On her second visit I didn’t go but my sister took her, they gave her another medicine I’m not sure with one, they did say she has anemia and is low on vitamin deficiency something like that. She can’t fully digest I think it’s because of that necklace and it’s definitely in her body and blood stream. Her comb on her head is blue, purple, white, yellow, and very dry. Before it was bright bright red. Not sure if she will even eat the meat at this point. Very heart broken for her, she is a pet to us. She isn’t dead just yet but I know she probably will pass either tonight or tomorrow.

Unfortunately she has passed.

Usually a chronic disease triggers anemia a secondary symptom. Maybe someone here can guide you on a treatment.

@Eggcessive , @Wyorp Rock , can you help.
I may not know enough to help you with the water belly, but how about trying some cooked fish for her vitamin deficiency? I had a freezer mishap. Unplugged the darn thing to clean it and FORGOT it! Happily, I salvaged most of the food. Part of it was a large bag of White Ocean fish that I simply boiled. I took a piece out to my free ranging chickens just this morning, and they went crazy over it! Of course, I was careful to only give them fish without bones, but they jumped on every little chunk of fish. Yours may respond even with canned tuna? It may be worth a try.

Attachments

• IMG_4944.JPG
    IMG_4944.JPG
    476.5 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom