Sick Chicken (might be coryza)

Sashkaaaa13

In the Brooder
Aug 19, 2021
Hi, Ive got my first checkin a year ago, so im pretty new to chicken world. Just 2 weeks ago ive noticed that one of the chicken is not looking good, its all fluffed up, disoriented, and not as active as other chickens, also her comb if down and looks like its dried up and changed in color.
Ive separated the chicken and put it in a different cage and it stopped laying eggs. Its 1.5 years old
Ive called the breeder that ive got my chickens from and he told me that its most likely infection and told me to get CORID to mix with water and to treat it for 5 days. The chicken got a little better but still very slow and sleeps a lot. Today ive noticed that under one of her eyes is swollen, and now i think its coryza) Ive ordered Baytril 10% (it will be delivered next week) and also got Tylosin 100g.

After that ive tried cleaning the coop and 4 months ago got 2 other chickens and were trying to introduce them, i took a cage with small chickens and put it in outside portion of the coop (its covered them from rain), now i let the small chicks in a main coop. So while cleaning ive removed the small cage because small birds dont use it anymore and noticed a small hole, ive taken a basket of water and purred in a hole and a rat ran out of it. I just though it might be relavent to what happend to my chicken.

So two problems one is sick chicken (pasha) and a rat that no matter now many times i close the whole comes back and makes a new one every night.

The rat wakes all chickens in the middle of the night, and I dont know what to do.

Please see the pictures attached, if you can help in any way I really appreciate it! I love my Chicken, please help )) Thank you for any comments.

P.S sorry if something is not clear, english is my second language.

Attachments

• IMG_4249.jpg
    IMG_4249.jpg
    524.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4212.jpg
    IMG_4212.jpg
    595.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4214.jpg
    IMG_4214.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 6
Ive just read that all respiratory deceases are incurable. Is it true? what should i do?! :(((

Yes, respiratory diseases in poultry are treatable and antibiotics only mask symptoms and do not cure the disease. Birds that survive respiratory diseases remain carriers for life and can spread the disease(s) to new birds added to a flock. It is also possible for birds to have 2 or more respiratory diseases going on at the same time.

If you decide to treat sick birds and they survive, you must maintain a closed flock. That means no new birds in, no birds out to be sold or given away. No eggs sold or given away to be hatched because some respiratory diseases pass through the eggs, such as Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG.)

Also, respiratory diseases can be carried on your person after handling sick birds, including clothing, shoes, even tires on vehicles and so on.
It's best to wear "chicken clothes and shoes" when dealing with sick birds. Then practicing personal hygiene after handling sick birds and changing into "clean" clothes if you're planning to visit another chicken owner friend etc...contaminated clothing and shoes can easily contaminate soil and infect "clean" chickens.

Your other option besides treating sick birds with antibiotics is to cull sick birds. Then bury them deep far away from the pens, or incinerate them.

If your hen has Coryza, it will spread to other birds. You can tell if it's Coryza since there is a distinctive foul odor around the head area. There are also other Coryza symptoms that you would've definitely noticed and would've mentioned in your post.

If there isnt a foul odor, it could be the onset of MG. But again, other birds would be starting to show symptoms. It's possible she mightve scratched her eye and is lethargic from not laying eggs, possibly eggbound. Another possibility might be worms, worm her with Flubenvet if you can get it. Also closely inspect her for lice and/or mites especially around her vent area.
You can put a small amount of antibiotic eye ointment in her eye for a few days and observe for improvement. Good luck.

Yes, respiratory diseases in poultry are treatable and antibiotics only mask symptoms and do not cure the disease. Birds that survive respiratory diseases remain carriers for life and can spread the disease(s) to new birds added to a flock. It is also possible for birds to have 2 or more respiratory diseases going on at the same time.

If you decide to treat sick birds and they survive, you must maintain a closed flock. That means no new birds in, no birds out to be sold or given away. No eggs sold or given away to be hatched because some respiratory diseases pass through the eggs, such as Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG.)

Also, respiratory diseases can be carried on your person after handling sick birds, including clothing, shoes, even tires on vehicles and so on.
It's best to wear "chicken clothes and shoes" when dealing with sick birds. Then practicing personal hygiene after handling sick birds and changing into "clean" clothes if you're planning to visit another chicken owner friend etc...contaminated clothing and shoes can easily contaminate soil and infect "clean" chickens.

Your other option besides treating sick birds with antibiotics is to cull sick birds. Then bury them deep far away from the pens, or incinerate them.

If your hen has Coryza, it will spread to other birds. You can tell if it's Coryza since there is a distinctive foul odor around the head area. There are also other Coryza symptoms that you would've definitely noticed and would've mentioned in your post.

If there isnt a foul odor, it could be the onset of MG. But again, other birds would be starting to show symptoms. It's possible she mightve scratched her eye and is lethargic from not laying eggs, possibly eggbound. Another possibility might be worms, worm her with Flubenvet if you can get it. Also closely inspect her for lice and/or mites especially around her vent area.
You can put a small amount of antibiotic eye ointment in her eye for a few days and observe for improvement. Good luck.
Thank you so much! will take to vet to make sure. and go from there. <3

Back
Top Bottom