sick chicken - need advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by grammaschicks, Oct 28, 2010.

1. grammaschicks

grammaschicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Have a white leghorn about 3 yrs old. First noticed she was losing weight maybe 6 wks ago. Didn't worry too much - she has always been skinniest in group.Then her comb and wattle began to get pale which it still is and seemed to shrink. She mostly stands around, sometimes puffed up, sometimes not. She does eat and drink. She will go out to free-range with other chickens but seems to get tired and just stands there. She hasn't laid an egg in awhile, but think that's the weather. Yesterday, the goose had her down pecking on her. When I ran out to pick her up, yellow liquid came out of her mouth. Today I brought her in and put her by herself in a crate with food and water. The yellow liquid still comes out when she is turned upside down or on her side. Any ideas? Can I do anything for her or is she too far gone? Thanks!

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    My first thought is sour crop, but it's hard to say.

I was going to give you a link, but my bookmarks aren't working right now (for some reason). But if you'll do a search (with the link on the blue bar at the top) for "sour crop," you should get quite a bit of information.

3. poultry for me

poultry for me Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2010
    Does the liquid smell or is there any other nasty smells (other than that of the chicken)? If the liquid stinks I would say it is sour crop. Doing a search will definitely help you find more info. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

4. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Since the most obvious option for discharge from the mouth is chicken cholera and you've had this bird a long time, my bet is sour crop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by