Sick Chicken, Need Urgent Advice

ilovechicks41

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2024
My hen has been sick for the last few days. I have been really concerned and been looking for answers to these problems.

She will always be sitting with her feathers fluffed up. The first day she would rarely open her eyes. I thought she was eggbound so I gave her a soak with warm water and epsom salt. I felt around the area and noticed that it’s not hard so it’s less likely she might be eggbound.

She is pooping watery white/green liquid. She is also eating/drinking on her own. I’m assuming that’s a good sign? I checked her feathers and have not noticed any mites. Her bum has less feathers. So my last option is to assume this is a bacterial infection or vent gleet?

I’ve been giving her Nutri-Drench, apple cider vinegar in her water, scrabbled eggs and also mushing up her feed with some water. Once or twice have also tried Tums.

There aren’t any Vets near me that look at poultry so i’m on my own. Any tips or advice that anyone can give me will be appreciated.

Does she normally lay eggs? How old is she? If you stand her up is her tail held up or is it down? Her poop sounds like she is not eating much. Is her crop emptying overnight? Is her lower belly enlarged under her vent? Reproductive disorders are very common in hens over two. Cancer is as well. I would check her over for lice and mites. Let us know how she is doing in the morning.

Does she normally lay eggs? How old is she? If you stand her up is her tail held up or is it down? Her poop sounds like she is not eating much. Is her crop emptying overnight? Is her lower belly enlarged under her vent? Reproductive disorders are very common in hens over two. Cancer is as well. I would check her over for lice and mites. Let us know how she is doing in the morning.
She normally does lay eggs and she’s around 5 years old. I believe her crop does empty and her lower belly is extremely enlarged with a loss of feathers. I’m leaning towards vent gleet. On top of that she poops liquid that is white/green. I’m so lost on what to do now. I’ve been giving her baths with epsom salt and warm water everyday then followed with micondazole cream on her vent. Her eating and drinking habits are on and off. I have been mixing some apple cider vinegar in her water. Honestly lost and giving up at this point because it seems like no matter what I do, there’s no progress :(

Back
Top Bottom