sick chicken? not eating not drinking not laying. just standing there.

mrsdrdahl

Hatching
5 Years
May 4, 2014
Hi all, I have appreciated reading your posts as we learn about our flock. I am hoping there might be a response that can help me figure out what is wrong with my hen.

Our Americana is not laying, has not for some months now. Honestly, as a new chicken owner in the suburbs of LA, I didn't give it much thought...perhaps she was just old enough to stop? But she is only three. How long do chickens usually live? I thought thy lived to about 8 and some burn out early on laying after 2 or three years?

Well, in addidition to her not laying, now it seems she is not well. She has been VERY lethargic for the past week. not doing much digging with her feet, preferring to stand still and/or lay down. she even rests on her side a bit which worries me. today, I checked her as she seems especially tired. Peeps, her name is, has nothing in her crop at all. and wasn't interested in eating. didn't react to food offered at all. Her poop appears to be greenish yellowish.

Any ideas about what I can do to help her? The Avian Vet is not close, and quite pricey...your suggestions about home care would be most helpful.

Thank you.
Coby

Also, I think I'll add that none of the other chickens appear ill in any way. they do not have mites and she is not egg bound. I currently have her sequestered in the bathtub in our house. with towels for her to nest in. I have given her water, seed, plain yogurt, and an egg with the shell scrambled. She ate a few bites of the yogurt and the egg but doesn't bother to wiper her beak off and won't eat unless it is offered to her right in front of her head. She didn't want to sit, but if I sit her down and get her comfy, she'll just stay sitting. her comb is good color. her abdomen is not swollen or unusual that I can tell. She seems to be breathing a bit rapidly...
I am thinking I might order a generic avian antibiotic to administer just in case.
any helpful hints would be appreciated.
many thanks, Coby

Also, I think I'll add that none of the other chickens appear ill in any way.  they do not have mites and she is not egg bound.  I currently have her sequestered in the bathtub in our house. with towels for her to nest in. I have given her water, seed, plain yogurt, and an egg with the shell scrambled.  She ate a few bites of the yogurt and the egg but doesn't bother to wiper her beak off and won't eat unless it is offered to her right in front of her head.  She didn't want to sit, but if I sit her down and get her comfy, she'll just stay sitting.  her comb is good color.  her abdomen is not swollen or unusual that I can tell.  She seems to be breathing a bit rapidly... 
I am thinking I might order a generic avian antibiotic to administer just in case.
any helpful hints would be appreciated.
many thanks, Coby

Unfortunately, I can't help with an answer but I too have an chicken doing the same thing. She hasn't had any desire to eat or drink for over a month and a half. I have been tube feeding her Exact Parrot Hand Feeding formula twice a day. She did lose weight but seems as though she may have leveled off with me feeding her. I did take her to the vet for an x-Ray to see if she had a mass or a blockage, nothing showed. The vet was stumped as well. She is currently on Tylan (antibiotic) but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Other than not eating or laying eggs, she still does all other chicken related things, scratching, dust bathing, roosting. She does see to stand around a bit more than the others but that's about it.

Let me know if you try anything and it works!

Just in case anyone stumbles across this thread. Olivia has started eating again after being tube fed twice a day for months. She was given Kaytee Exact Parrot hand feeding formula 60cc's twice a day with Grow to Max probiotics, Nutridrench and 1/2 ml Of Tylan injectable given orally. I don't know what she had but this worked. :)

Back
Top Bottom