Sick chicken, not eating well now, please help.

lifespassion

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 17, 2010
Helo ~ I have a Buff Orpington who will be a year old in April. Everything was fine until last Monday when she was standing and acting strange, close to an egg way back in the coop, but I couldn't tell anything else, as I couldn't get to the egg and had to get to work. When I got home from work, she had some blood under her vent. I seperated her from the flock as they were starting to peck at her, cleaned up her vent and put Prep H on it. It did not look like prolapse, looked like the other vents, just kind of red and irritated, with a few blobs of blood. I fed her a mash with egg yolk, oatmeal, Karo syrup, grated apple and yogurt and she gobbled it up. Keeping her separated, her vent was looking better, just a little bit irritated, and the blood in her stool has pretty much disappeared. In reading the forum, this seemed normal after maybe passing a large egg. She never had much blood, just a bit, kind of with mucus. I tried feeding her the mash some more and she really hasn't eaten any more. She is drinking water with a drop of ACV in it. Yesterday I gave her some uncooked oatmeal which she ate. A tiny bit of scratch which she ate. Not interested in her crumbles at all. Today I took her some uncooked oatmeal, yogurt with a bit of applesauce mixed in and she just walks around the garage looking for something else to eat. Still drinking well. I'm at a loss as to what this is or could be. She looks well, bright eyed, moving kind of slow, but not waddling. Not sure if she could be egg bound as I'm not sure how often they lay in the winter. She doesn't seem to be. She is interested in eating scratch, but I really don't want to give her much. Doesn't seem to be vent gleet, she has some stool on her back feathers, but I keep her in a large cage during the day, so she is kind of sitting in it. I don't know if I should put her back with the other girls, if she would eat then. I can't keep an eye on her stool then, so I wanted to keep her apart until I knew there was no more blood anywhere. Should I wait and see if she lays another egg first? Is there something else she will/should eat? I don't want her to not eat. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated! I've never had chickens before and I certainly know more about chicken butts than I ever thought possible!
big_smile.png
Thank you!

Not sure. With being eggbound, if it is still going to the bathroom I wouldn't think it would be eggbound then. . It being uninterested in the food might be that it's not very happy being alone lol.

Back
Top Bottom