Sick chicken on the mend???

Mlt34

Hatching
Apr 2, 2018
Hi everyone! We are raising chickens since September. Two Red Barred came with the coop. No issues until one wouldnt eat her fav treat so i knew she was unwell. Read lots of posts. Put ACV in their water and watched her. Now after a few days her appetite is back and seems like her old self but is laying almost white eggs (heard this means she’s anemic??) she is a medium brown layer. 1. Should i throw out the eggs? 2. Should i still be worried??

Eggs can lighten in color later in the season if she has been a long time since her last molt. According to some books I have read, the egg color is deepest when they return to laying from a molt. Sometimes there can be mineral deposits on the egg which would make it lighter. I had a poor layer who laid chaulky eggs and later stopped laying.

Thank you for responding! It doesn’t appear that shes molting and laid another very chalky colored egg today. Shes back to her old self as far as appetite and character. Do you think the eggs are eatable since she was out of sorts the past few days?

Back
Top Bottom