Sick Chicken - Please help me!

Update!! Bob ferociously gobbled down the egg and yogurt mash I made her!! She held her head up by herself when we kept our hand on her bottom to steady her. Hopefully she will begin to regain some strength!

That's good. PipsandPeeps might be on to something with the mention of wry neck. It is usually caused by genetics, toxins, or nutritional deficiency. You said this is new behavior, so it likely isn't genetic. The bird could have eaten something moldy and got sick. VetRx just helps with respiratory problems by relieving some symptoms. It may be a fairly good preventative but it doesn't cure anything. Chickens don't like it for the same reason kids don't like cough syrup. It has camphor in it and doesn't taste too good. I use it on a soaked q-tip and gently rub on the roof of the bird's mouth near the back of the throat. I put a few drops in the drinking water every so often during the Winter too. Those scrambled eggs are good nutrition. So is the yogurt. There's a way to get vitamins and amino acids in there quick with a product called Nutri-Drench labeled for poultry. That is if the bird doesn't drink from a waterer on its own. I hope your bird continues to get better.

Hi All!! Betty Bob is doing good! She's improving a little each day. Baby steps! She's loving the eggs and yogurt. She is eating on her own once we lift her head up and show her the plate. She started talking to us today like she used to do and she's beginning to fight us more when we give her water. She's getting quite fiesty now! She's still unsteady on her feet but I think they hurt from the scaly mites. We have begun treating her legs and deworming the whole flock. We are definitely making progress.

I can't thank you all enough for helping me! Because of you all Betty Bob will continue to be a part of our family and my sons best friend will be by his side! I'm hoping to hatch her chicks late this coming spring if she's up to it. She is unlike any chicken I have ever met and I hope to have a few of her chicks that are just like her! Thank You from the bottom of my heart!

I never thought I would allow a chicken to eat on my kitchen table! Anything for our Bob!!

Back
Top Bottom