Sick chicken please help

Chicmom009

Chirping
May 11, 2021
Hello,
I have a 3 year old hen that started limping about two weeks ago. ( she’s done this before and got better) Well, she started going down hill and the other two hens were picking on her so I secluded her to a dog crate and I take her out in the morning to make sure she drinks and eats. She’s getting so that she can’t even hop around now and is very weak,I bathed her a few days ago to get the crud off her butt and gave her a tiny piece of baby aspirin with food.
I honestly don’t want a large vet bill so
I’m trying to care for her on my own. I’ve become very attached. Especially lately cause she lets me get close to her for help.
Her poop is lime green with yellow foam. 😞
Thank you for any advise you can give me.

Get some electrolytes and hen medication. It should help after a bit

Add a drop or two of apple cider vinegar to her water.

The limp sounds like its from the rooster (mating)

Get some electrolytes and hen medication. It should help after a bit

Add a drop or two of apple cider vinegar to her water.

The limp sounds like its from the rooster (mating)
No rooster involved. Sent him to Maine. I know she doesn’t have bumblefoot either.I’ll try the Apple cider vinegar now. What other hen medications are you thinking? Thank you

Unfortunately I don't have any advice for you, but I have had this exact same problem in one of my Northern Bobwhite quail a year ago! One day I looked outside and she was laying on her side flapping her wings. At first I thought she had broken her wing, so I started treating her for that, but it all went downhill from there. A couple days later she had passed but I have to say I did learn a lot from that experience. Sorry I couldn't help, but I hope you have more luck then I did. :hmm

Hello,
I have a 3 year old hen that started limping about two weeks ago. ( she’s done this before and got better) Well, she started going down hill and the other two hens were picking on her so I secluded her to a dog crate and I take her out in the morning to make sure she drinks and eats. She’s getting so that she can’t even hop around now and is very weak,I bathed her a few days ago to get the crud off her butt and gave her a tiny piece of baby aspirin with food.
I honestly don’t want a large vet bill so
I’m trying to care for her on my own. I’ve become very attached. Especially lately cause she lets me get close to her for help.
Her poop is lime green with yellow foam. 😞
Thank you for any advise you can give me.
When is the last time she laid an egg?
Can you please post some photos of the hen and her poop?
Have you added any new birds within the last 30 days?

Feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs, is there any bloat or fluid? She may be having some reproductive issues like Peritonitis, cancer, tumors or similar which can be common in laying hens.
I'm assuming you have checked to make sure that there's not an issue with lice/mites and that her crop is emptying overnight.

Do what you can to get her hydrated and eating. Poultry vitamins a couple of times a week.

When is the last time she laid an egg?
Can you please post some photos of the hen and her poop?
Have you added any new birds within the last 30 days?

Feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs, is there any bloat or fluid? She may be having some reproductive issues like Peritonitis, cancer, tumors or similar which can be common in laying hens.
I'm assuming you have checked to make sure that there's not an issue with lice/mites and that her crop is emptying overnight.

Do what you can to get her hydrated and eating. Poultry vitamins a couple of times a week.
She was laying eggs about 10 days ago then stopped. I don’t have any pics of her poop but like I stated, it’s lime green and yellow. I have her another baby aspirin today and mixed some bread with apple cider that she ate. She drank water too. Her abdomen isn’t swollen, in fact she feels lighter now ( which I’m sure it’s due to her not freeranging or digging for her bug treats.
thank you

Back
Top Bottom