Sick chicken? Unable to diagnose!

Chicken❤️er

Songster
Aug 31, 2018
Charlottesville, VA
Hey everyone!
I have a polish hen that is 2-3 years old who has been acting off. I checked for an egg and she is not egg bound, crop is empty, eyes are bright, she is very vocal, no mites, vent is clear, haven’t seen a poop sample. She is not slow or lethargic and is very fast running away from me. However, she just sits by herself, doesn’t eat and has no interest in treats, and keeps shaking her head vigorously (like once every ten seconds, although it is fairly sporadic and not on a set interval). If anyone has advice on this, or is able to diagnose it, I would appreciate any help!!
Thank you so much,
Layla

Has she molted this season? I have a hen of the same age that is only just now starting her first molt, and she has very similar symptoms. If it's late summer where you are, this could be molt. Check under her neck feathers for signs of new pin feathers.

When was the last time she laid an egg? You don't always feel a stuck egg if the egg has no shell and is soft like a water balloon.

What is your location and climate? Early spring can bring on coccidia blooms and sicken chickens. You might think about doin a round of amprolium to be safe.

For us it is winter, very cold, and snowy everywhere. I looked under her wings for mites and I don’t see many pin feathers. I just had a chicken the other week be egg bound with a shell-less egg, so I know what that feels like and I didn’t feel it with her.

Back
Top Bottom