Sick Chicken, Unknown Cause. Ideas?

Apr 11, 2023
Southern Oregon
Sunday one of my barred rocks looked like she had a purple comb but was doing chicken things so i let her be and just monitored. Monday she had reddened back up but was just kinda sitting around and not her usual self so i brought her inside. Monday night & Tuesday none of the food or water had been touched and her poops were mostly bile looking. I checked her over and she looks and sounds healthy even trying to fight and protesting loudly while i checked her out. The only thing of concern (other than not eating or drinking) was that is appeared that she was 'shivering'. I've been keeping her inside, warm and keeping her hydrated. She started drinking on her own again and showing some interest in food so i just assumed whatever had been ailing her was working its way out of her system.

Then we get to today.... my black copper maran is presenting the same.

No injuries, no abnormalities in breathing, still laying eggs as of yesterday, no noticeable worm overload, mouth looks clear, crop isn't impacted or sour, no signs of mites or lice, no odd odors. Feed hasn't changed, no new stressors. Nothing that would tell me what i am dealing with in order to treat them .....

Does anyone have any ideas what on earth could be going on?

Sunday one of my barred rocks looked like she had a purple comb but was doing chicken things so i let her be and just monitored. Monday she had reddened back up but was just kinda sitting around and not her usual self so i brought her inside. Monday night & Tuesday none of the food or water had been touched and her poops were mostly bile looking. I checked her over and she looks and sounds healthy even trying to fight and protesting loudly while i checked her out. The only thing of concern (other than not eating or drinking) was that is appeared that she was 'shivering'. I've been keeping her inside, warm and keeping her hydrated. She started drinking on her own again and showing some interest in food so i just assumed whatever had been ailing her was working its way out of her system.

Then we get to today.... my black copper maran is presenting the same.

No injuries, no abnormalities in breathing, still laying eggs as of yesterday, no noticeable worm overload, mouth looks clear, crop isn't impacted or sour, no signs of mites or lice, no odd odors. Feed hasn't changed, no new stressors. Nothing that would tell me what i am dealing with in order to treat them .....

Does anyone have any ideas what on earth could be going on?
The shaking is a sign of stress. Is there anything (another hen, a predator, etc.) that could have stressed her out? Shivering is caused by stress no matter what weather.

The shaking is a sign of stress. Is there anything (another hen, a predator, etc.) that could have stressed her out? Shivering is caused by stress no matter what weather.

That would seem strange as i actually removed a puppy that was going after the chickens and rehomed him to some family members. That happened on Friday and this all started Sunday. My camera's haven't captured any predators around them and it continued when i brought her into the house. No signs of being picked on by other hens and cameras haven't caught that either but i'll monitor it.

I do have a young cockerel that is reaching maturity. Could he be the issue (he hasn't figured out how to woo the girls yet but very much wants them)?

Would stress explain them not wanting to eat or drink?

That would seem strange as i actually removed a puppy that was going after the chickens and rehomed him to some family members. That happened on Friday and this all started Sunday. My camera's haven't captured any predators around them and it continued when i brought her into the house. No signs of being picked on by other hens and cameras haven't caught that either but i'll monitor it.

I do have a young cockerel that is reaching maturity. Could he be the issue (he hasn't figured out how to woo the girls yet but very much wants them)?

Would stress explain them not wanting to eat or drink?
Yes, the stress can cause them to keep from eating and drinking. If she's sneezing then she's really stressed. The roo might be the problem.

Back
Top Bottom