Sick chicken, what should I do?

then I locked her up where she could rest, without food and after a couple of hours the crop seemed full and hard again.
Are you sure there is nothing she could have eaten? Bedding, dirt, etc? Chickens will eat anything and I can't think of how the crop could be full and hard without ingesting something. A yeast infection might cause gas to fill the crop but I don't think it would feel hard...

Yesterday night I checked up on her and her crop was full and hard again so today I went to check her, it was slightly less full so I massaged again. She pooped watery, slightly foamy, green and white. Gave her electrolites and massaged again, it seemed like it emptied again; then I locked her up where she could rest, without food and after a couple of hours the crop seemed full and hard again. So whar should I do?
Let her eat/drink free choice during waking hours. When it's time for bed, place her in a cage lined with puppy pads and no feed or water for the night.

Recheck her crop first thing before you give her food/water the next morning. Let us know what the crop feels like then.

Photos of her poop too.

Puppy pads are a good way to look at poop and to help deter birds from eating bedding.

Have you ever dewormed her?
Is the swelling under the eye going down or still the same?

Let her eat/drink free choice during waking hours. When it's time for bed, place her in a cage lined with puppy pads and no feed or water for the night.

Recheck her crop first thing before you give her food/water the next morning. Let us know what the crop feels like then.

Photos of her poop too.

Puppy pads are a good way to look at poop and to help deter birds from eating bedding.

Ok will do, I'll take pics. Yes the swelling is going down.

Photos of her poop too.

She appears to be better, been giving her the electrolytes, scrambled eggs, cooked trout or tilapia. She barely fought me at first when I have her the electrolytes with a syringe and food, now she fights and tried to pull away; she's starting to eat by herself. Seems dizzy and a bit weak though. Been massaging her crop, seems to work. Hoe fast should I expect to see her recuperated? I'll keep you posted on her development.

Thank you all very much!

Attachments

• IMG_20221209_090753081_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221209_090753081_HDR.jpg
    800.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20221209_091503732.jpg
    IMG_20221209_091503732.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 4
What's happened to her comb since Monday?

I would try to feed her a nutritionally balanced poultry feed if it's available. Give the egg or fish in addition to her feed.

Vitamin E and B-Complex can be given to see if they help with the balance issues.

Consider deworming if you haven't done so.
Green poop like that can be from a number of things, if she's not been eating well, then the color may be from bile.

Work on hydration then offer a bit of wet feed. Poultry vitamins that contain E and B1 may be helpful for the balance issues.

What's happened to her comb since Monday?

I would try to feed her a nutritionally balanced poultry feed if it's available. Give the egg or fish in addition to her feed.

Vitamin E and B-Complex can be given to see if they help with the balance issues.

Consider deworming if you haven't done so.
Green poop like that can be from a number of things, if she's not been eating well, then the color may be from bile.
Forgot to mention when my husband saw her comb like it was (reddish and seemed a bit damaged; thought maybe from pecking) he put on some methyl violet, wasn't sure that had happened it was just redder and dry. It still feels dry to me so I was thinking maybe putting one some cream...?

She hasn't had much change :( yesterday she ate by herself, today I had to hand feed her. Her crop just seems to be the same, I massage it and a few minutes later it'll be full as if she'd eaten but she hasn't; maybe she isn't digesting.

The poop is like that then because she isn't eating :(. We did deworm her just as soon as she got sick. The swelling has gone down, she doesn't seek much sunlight which worries me, she goes to the dark side of the enclosure we made for her and just stays still there all day.

Her crop just seems to be the same, I massage it and a few minutes later it'll be full as if she'd eaten but she hasn't; maybe she isn't digesting.
Never heard of a crop issue like this, but want to confirm that she has access to grit and also suggest a crop flush. I don't know if a blockage could be causing her issue, but since she doesn't seem to be improving it might be worth a shot.

Back
Top Bottom