Sick chicken, what should I do?

Mix one teaspoon epsom salt into 1/2 cup of warm water and syringe into mouth twice a day for a couple days. Or you could try a molasses flush which might be more palatable for your bird which is one teaspoon molasses in about 1/4 cup of water. I've been told only to use the molasses flush once then switch to the epsom salt but not sure about a reason for it. I'd massage and try to empty her crop then give a her a flush. Either of them will probably give her some diarrhea and dehydrate her a little so keep giving electrolyte water throughout the day and I also like to give a little yogurt for extra probiotics.

Mix one teaspoon epsom salt into 1/2 cup of warm water and syringe into mouth twice a day for a couple days. Or you could try a molasses flush which might be more palatable for your bird which is one teaspoon molasses in about 1/4 cup of water. I've been told only to use the molasses flush once then switch to the epsom salt but not sure about a reason for it. I'd massage and try to empty her crop then give a her a flush. Either of them will probably give her some diarrhea and dehydrate her a little so keep giving electrolyte water throughout the day and I also like to give a little yogurt for extra probiotics.
Thank you very much for your help and time in this matter, she passed away this afternoon, really wish I'd known this all early on when I saw her act strange.
It upsets me to be learning so much on the go at the expense of our flock's pain or death :/ *sigh*.

The one thing that I can say about having chickens and occasionally loosing some (either by disease or predators) is that I have learned to accept better the "nature" of things and the loss.
At least now I know what to do and look for if we ever happens again :(.
BTW should I think about trying to get them some sort of grit? They forage, there are rocks and sand around and I always thought that that was probably enough as I have seen them ingesting pebbles, but would it be a better idea to get them some sort of grit. I've never seen anyone selling grit in Mexico, but maybe we could figure something out; how big must the pebbles/rocks be?

Sorry for your loss. Raising chickens has quite a steep learning curve and I think most of us don't know much about chickens or all the things that can go wrong when we get them (I know I didn't have a clue...). And of course, even when you do have a good understanding you're still going to lose some birds despite your best efforts.

As for grit, they are probably finding what they need on the ground if you've got some rocky dirt for them to scratch through, though they do need it everyday, so if sometimes they are stuck in a coop that doesn't have any sort of grit available that could be a problem. The crushed granite that you can buy for grit here is around 1/4 of an inch for grown birds.

Back
Top Bottom