Sick chicken, what should I do?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Danica18, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Danica18

Danica18 New Egg

Over the last day or two I've noticed my chicken was looking quite tired. Today, she's not only looking quite lethargic but is having trouble clucking, and it comes out more like a whisper.
    She's 2 years old - what can I do to help her?

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    can you isolate her from the rest and giver her a vitamin supplement?

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    If she's having trouble breathing and doing some neck stretching, research "gape worms".

4. Danica18

Danica18 New Egg

I've had her separated and given her electrolytes, she's happy to eat and drink, but not to walk around. She also falls asleep when standing!

5. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    Follow basic medical procedure which means FIRST DO NO HARM. You have already separated and offered vitamins. She eats and drinks so it is probably not an impacted crop. Wormer would be my next try along with poultry dust or pyrethrin to rule out mites. As she is sleeping standing, she is probably weak from the parasites taking away from her. If she is still have problems after wormer and mite lice treatment then you will have to look at the different chicken diseases. Anti biotics would be next. Best of luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by