Sick chicken with mites, but too cold to keep outside???

survivingchaos

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 9, 2014
Central MN
I have a lady who is dealing with a ton of crap, call her a rescue. Her name is Scrappy. Anyways, she's been battling some respiratory stuff since we got her and I have been giving electrolytes and vitamins plus vet Rx. I also started treating her with ivermectin for mites and internal, as she has a constant dirty vent. Today I saw that my other ladies just pecked the feathers and skin from her tail area, leaving her bloody and fairly unresponsive. I brought her in, cleaned her wounds and saw how badly she's been frost bitten, too. We have been -30 degrees for a long while now in central MN.

Long story short, she needs to be seperated, and I have a large dog crate, but it's still around 0 degrees, and I'm hesitant to keep her in the house because of the active mite infestation. Would the garage provide enough warmth? I have a heat lamp on the coop right now, but they need the warmth, too. They are not all in great respiratory condition either and I'd like to keep them under as little stress as possible.

Thoughts, insight?

Edited to add, we also have a puppy and a rabbit, if that makes a difference on how the mites may impact our house??

Last edited:
If you get some poultry dust and put it around her area she will be in (not in or near her food or water) and dust her first with poultry dust it does kill the mites rather quickly but not the eggs so retreat will be necessary.I'm dealing with the exact same issue with mites and I DO have mine inside. However I supplied a large box with poultry dust on the bottom shavings on top and treated the bird BEFORE she went in the clean box.I've dusted the premiter of the OUTSIDE of the box and I have used a flea comb to remove All visible bugs dead or alive. As well as the eggs that I could get to. At this point I'm going to have to re treat her because of the eggs. Because of your birds breathing issues be very very cautious when Appling the dust . I did mine by hand very carefully in small amounts to her body to prevent mine from breathing it. So far so good.i hope this helps but this is what I've done to continue to keep her inside.. Best wishes

If you get some poultry dust and put it around her area she will be in (not in or near her food or water) and dust her first with poultry dust it does kill the mites rather quickly but not the eggs so retreat will be necessary.I'm dealing with the exact same issue with mites and I DO have mine inside. However I supplied a large box with poultry dust on the bottom shavings on top and treated the bird BEFORE she went in the clean box.I've dusted the premiter of the OUTSIDE of the box and I have used a flea comb to remove All visible bugs dead or alive. As well as the eggs that I could get to. At this point I'm going to have to re treat her because of the eggs. Because of your birds breathing issues be very very cautious when Appling the dust . I did mine by hand very carefully in small amounts to her body to prevent mine from breathing it. So far so good.i hope this helps but this is what I've done to continue to keep her inside.. Best wishes

Have you had issues with the mites elsewhere in your house, or being bothersome to people or other pets?

I have four indoor cats and three indoor dogs as well and fortunately NO other creature caught them. Funny thing although I powdered ALL my chickens with the dust she was the only one with any signs of mites and eggs!! I was shocked because I expected the other birds to have them as well. But what I've done is sprinkle the poultry dust on the carpet as well as the parameter of the box. I also put it under the shavings.how I have it set up the birds are in a HUGE box so big I could fit inside laying down and across. They are set up in my spare bedroom. I was worried about the mites traveling as well that's why I put the dust on the carpet in there as well as in the box. After First treatment with poultry dust I'm happy to say she has no more visible bugs however eggs are still visible and I couldn't get all the nits with the flea comb so she will require more treatments. I also put the powder on a brush and brushed it into her feathers that way. Silkies are very fluffy so it was quite a task. So far I've not had any instance of mites transferred to the house but like I've said I went as far as pondering the carpets with the pametherine or poultry dust. I've left the dust in the carpets. Mine are tiny brown mites and after the poultry dust they started dieing like crazy thank God .I can't wait until she's rid of BOTH eggs and no more bugs coming because I hate these nasty mites!!

I have four indoor cats and three indoor dogs as well and fortunately NO other creature caught them. Funny thing although I powdered ALL my chickens with the dust she was the only one with any signs of mites and eggs!! I was shocked because I expected the other birds to have them as well. But what I've done is sprinkle the poultry dust on the carpet as well as the parameter of the box. I also put it under the shavings.how I have it set up the birds are in a HUGE box so big I could fit inside laying down and across. They are set up in my spare bedroom. I was worried about the mites traveling as well that's why I put the dust on the carpet in there as well as in the box. After First treatment with poultry dust I'm happy to say she has no more visible bugs however eggs are still visible and I couldn't get all the nits with the flea comb so she will require more treatments. I also put the powder on a brush and brushed it into her feathers that way. Silkies are very fluffy so it was quite a task. So far I've not had any instance of mites transferred to the house but like I've said I went as far as pondering the carpets with the pametherine or poultry dust. I've left the dust in the carpets. Mine are tiny brown mites and after the poultry dust they started dieing like crazy thank God .I can't wait until she's rid of BOTH eggs and no more bugs coming because I hate these nasty mites!!

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom