Sick chicken won't eat but drinks alot

Goatlover09

Chirping
Aug 8, 2023
Hi. I have a 1 year old barred rock hen who seems under the weather today. She won't eat her feed or treats when offered. i have noticed she is drinking alot at a time and often. I saw her poop once this morning and it was liquid with white in it. Does anyone know what is going on?

Hi. I have a 1 year old barred rock hen who seems under the weather today. She won't eat her feed or treats when offered. i have noticed she is drinking alot at a time and often. I saw her poop once this morning and it was liquid with white in it. Does anyone know what is going on?
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Often times excess drinking with diminished appetite is crop function related.. impacted, blocked, slow/sour.. see if this article helps at all..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Hope she recovers quickly! :fl

Welcome aboard!

Okay, nice advice above, and I'll add to that that excess drinking is often a sign of dehydration and unstable water balance. Water loss in chickens can be caused by extreme heat, even things like kidney damage, or any medication she is on, parasites, food poisoning, fungal infection, bacterial infection. Drinking is a natural response to try and fix an unnatural situation and balance fluid volume.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Often times excess drinking with diminished appetite is crop function related.. impacted, blocked, slow/sour.. see if this article helps at all..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Hope she recovers quickly! :fl
Agreed.

I'd start with checking the crop and making sure it's emptying - if not, then treat according to the article linked previously.

@Goatlover09 when was her last egg and what do you feed, including treats?

I felt her crop and it feels normal. She also has no bad breath from sour crop. She started eating last night. I feed browns egg charger and for treats i give flock party garden grains. I am not sure when her last egg was since she has is with abunch of other brown egg aying hens. Her fluff was very clumped up yesterday so I treating for vent gleet right noow. I put ACV in the water, anti fungal cream around her vent, 10 CC of yogurt at night along with a 10 min epson salt bath. Today she is not as lethargic and will come to gate when I am around.

Back
Top Bottom