Sick Chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by furrybollocks, Nov 2, 2015.

1. furrybollocks

furrybollocks Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Hey there,
    Today I was out feeding and watering my flock of five and heard a very high pitched almost crowing noise. At six months old, I know none of my chickens are roosters so it was very strange. I came around the corner and my Easter Egger, Maybelline, was standing in the door of the coop sneezing. I started filming her, so I have a recording of her noise, but I'm not sure if I can embed it. You can see in the video that she's breathing with her mouth open and her tail is dropped when it's normally parallel with the ground.

I'm very alarmed. It's rained very heavily here the last couple of weeks because there was a hurricane in Mexico, so I'm not sure if that could have something to do with it or not. They're cooped up for the night, but I didn't separate her because I'm not sure how serious it is. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I can't see your video. You might try posting it to YouTube and giving us the link. Sneezing can be a sign of infectious bronchitis or other respiratory diseases, but also can be due to mold, dust in the feed or dusty coop conditions. I would watch her closely, and if there is nasal or eye drainage, noisy breathing, or you notice any swelling around an eye or the face, then you may want to consider antibiotics. Here is a good link to read about the common diseases:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. furrybollocks

May 26, 2015
    Houston, Texas
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be infectious bronchitis. That is the most common and the mildest of all of the respiratory diseases. Sometimes it can be complicated by other diseases or secondary infections, such as MG, coryza, or E.coli. If she has IB, then you may see others in the flock get it. It typically lasts around 3-4 weeks, and it affects very young chickens more than grown ones. The flock can be carriers for up to a year afterward. Here is a good article about it: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/78/infectious-bronchitis-ib/

5. furrybollocks

May 26, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Thank you for the information. I've been keeping an eye on her, and her strange behavior has just stopped. She's acting completely normal, like nothing ever happened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by