Sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jd-pott, Apr 25, 2017.

1. jd-pott

jd-pott Just Hatched

Apr 19, 2017
    I have a RIR who is normally very active. She started acting very lethargic today and was laying down. She shakes her head a lot like she is dizzy and if you stand her up she walks like a drunk person would and then lays down. I don't hear any wheezing and she isn't vomiting or having weird feces. She appears normal but her comb is droopy and she is exhibiting the symptoms above. Any ideas what it may be.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She could be dehydrated, so put some electrolyte powder such as SaveAChick into her water, or offer Pedialyte or Gatorade undiluted, try to get her drinking by holding a small cup or spoon up to her beak, or dip her beak. Make some very watery feed, and add a little raw egg or plain yogurt and stir. Check her skin around the vent and all over for mites or lice. Check her ear canals with a QTip for any gunk or mites and check the outside for swelling. Also check inside her vent with a finger an inch or two for a stuck egg. Feel of her crop for to see if it is empty, partly full, soft, or hard.

1 person likes this.
  3. jd-pott

jd-pott Just Hatched

Apr 19, 2017
    I did all of that she didn't want much part of the pedialite and unnoticed some yellow runny mucus or discharge from her vent today. Any advice?

4. jd-pott

jd-pott Just Hatched

Apr 19, 2017
    [​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The bright yellow dropping with mucus and white urates, plus green, could possibly be coccidiosis, egg material, or E.coli infection. Cocci can be treated with Corid, egg material or E.coli can be signs of egg yolk peritonitis. Fecal floats on fresh droppings by a vet if you can get one to do it, could help. E.coli is difficult to treat successfully, even with good antibiotics. Sometimes it can be hard to diagnose egg peritonitis until after death with a necropsy. I wish I could be more be of more help.

6. jd-pott

jd-pott Just Hatched

Apr 19, 2017
    Thank you for the information

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by