Sick chicken

Devcat15

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2018
My 1 1/2 year old chicken was found outside the coop the other night dropping her behind and was lethargic. We brought her inside and she had a very watery yellow colored poop (pic below). I thought egg yolk peritonitis or possibly egg bound. It’s now day 3, she’s eating and drinking like crazy, preening herself as well but still walking with her butt down. We’ve been giving her warm baths, massaging her abdomen, and putting her in a dark area inside the house but still nothing. She looks really good except for when she starts to walk. Any other possibilities that anyone can think of?

Attachments

• 411018A3-63DC-4A3C-8385-9A15BA388E5A.jpeg
    411018A3-63DC-4A3C-8385-9A15BA388E5A.jpeg
    413 KB · Views: 8
  • AFC6F5FB-6F97-45DF-8DFA-255372AA3170.jpeg
    AFC6F5FB-6F97-45DF-8DFA-255372AA3170.jpeg
    502.1 KB · Views: 9
My 1 1/2 year old chicken was found outside the coop the other night dropping her behind and was lethargic. We brought her inside and she had a very watery yellow colored poop (pic below). I thought egg yolk peritonitis or possibly egg bound. It’s now day 3, she’s eating and drinking like crazy, preening herself as well but still walking with her butt down. We’ve been giving her warm baths, massaging her abdomen, and putting her in a dark area inside the house but still nothing. She looks really good except for when she starts to walk. Any other possibilities that anyone can think of?
What does her poop look like now?

Have you felt inside the vent just to make sure there's not an egg membrane that is stuck?
Has she laid eggs fairly consistently with no problems in the past?

I would have to say with that poop (is there blood in that too?) that she is suffering from a reproductive disorder. She may have had an membrane leak into the oviduct hard to know.

How long are you putting her in the dark? Are you trying to stop her from laying eggs?

What does her poop look like now?

Have you felt inside the vent just to make sure there's not an egg membrane that is stuck?
Has she laid eggs fairly consistently with no problems in the past?

I would have to say with that poop (is there blood in that too?) that she is suffering from a reproductive disorder. She may have had an membrane leak into the oviduct hard to know.

How long are you putting her in the dark? Are you trying to stop her from laying eggs?

Well she just pooped again but it’s the first time in almost 48 hours (pic below), no blood. Haven’t felt inside her vent but her abdomen feels full of fluid no egg that I can feel. She’s been in the dark overnight and then a calm place during the day. Not trying to stop her from laying eggs, just trying to have her relaxed enough to be willing to lay. It’s hard to say how her egg production has been because she’s one of 10 birds that all lay brown eggs and it’s winter so production goes down.

Attachments

• C179AB8E-42E9-44D6-A4C3-242ED8AF022C.jpeg
    C179AB8E-42E9-44D6-A4C3-242ED8AF022C.jpeg
    564.4 KB · Views: 9
Well she just pooped again but it’s the first time in almost 48 hours
Haven’t felt inside her vent but her abdomen feels full of fluid no egg that I can feel.
Poor thing! So she's finally pooped.
An abdomen that feels full of fluid - sometimes that can be drained to give some relief and supportive care. It's not a cure for what's going on with her, but if that's something you want to do, then give it a try. Of course, if vet care is possible, that's best.
There are risks to draining so you would want to consider all your options.

Thank you for responding. I think if she’s still with us tomorrow we’ll be heading to the vet. She’s a very sweet girl.

Attachments

• ABA64949-6915-4074-A810-11D349268EBA.jpeg
    ABA64949-6915-4074-A810-11D349268EBA.jpeg
    440.8 KB · Views: 9
Sorry about your sweet little hen.She looks so tiny in the pic. The bright yellow in her droppings definitely looks like reproductive or liver problems. Looking forward to what the vet says.

Back
Top Bottom