Sick Chicken

peasant_girl

Chirping
Feb 18, 2020
I have a 9-month-old Golden Comet that suddenly became lethargic. She sleeps standing up and I was able to pick her up without her trying to get away from me. I checked her over and don't see any sign of lice or mites. She's de-wormed regularly. I felt around to see if she's egg bound and feel nothing. She does sound a little congested, but nothing is coming out of her nose or eyes. She's barely eating or drinking. I brought her inside and started her on Tylan 50 oral, put an electrolyte in her drinking water, and fed her some through a syringe. Any ideas of what it could be?

What is the temperature where you are?
Some of my flock members sleep standing up in the sun now that the days have gotten a little cooler.
Have you tried some wet mash for her food to see if she eats it better? Will she eat treats?
I would've also added electrolytes to her water.
Any lice or mites?

We're in the low 70's during the day, and in the 40's at night currently.

I haven't tried wet mash, and she doesn't seem to be interested in the normal food. I did see her eating a bit of scratch grains earlier.

No signs of lice or mites, and she has an electrolyte/probiotic in her water.

Is her tail drooping? That's a good indicator that she is sick. Could she have gotten into something that would make her sick? Is she the only one acting like this? Keep her in a crate in the coop overnight and check her crop in the morning. It should be empty. If not she may have an impacted crop. Did you check her over good for injuries?

Is her tail drooping? That's a good indicator that she is sick. Could she have gotten into something that would make her sick? Is she the only one acting like this? Keep her in a crate in the coop overnight and check her crop in the morning. It should be empty. If not she may have an impacted crop. Did you check her over good for injuries?

Her tail isn't drooping. Her vent is normal. I checked for a bound egg but she feels normal. Her crop is empty as she's not been eating. We checked her everywhere and she looks completely normal. She's the only one that is acting like this so far. I don't know how she would have gotten into something bad, as she is always in the coop or the run.

We've brought her inside in a kennel. She won't eat or drink, so I'm giving her some oral electrolytes/probiotics with a syringe, as well as the Tylan 50 orally. She continues to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom