Sick Chicken!!

RoosterHuggerLiz

Songster
Dec 27, 2020
I bought a pullet the other day and in one of my other threats you'll see her story. Summer, the pullet, has been extremely sick since I first got her, at first it wasn't too bad, she was just a bit nasally and had low energy, I thought it was because of stress but over the past couple of days I've noticed Bloody poo, she has poor eyesight and coordination, respiratory issues (Fluid) and is generally weak/Eat's vary little. At first I thought it was Marek's disease but after dosing her with a little bit of amoxicillin just to see what would happen this morning she was looking so much better! Eating, pecking, scratching, jumping, and even her breathing sounds better! Should I continue dosing her with amoxicillin and do you guys have any idea what kind of disease she could have?

(Summer is in quarantine and All of my birds are vaccinated for Merricks and a few other diseases)

I would continue with the Amoxicillin. Have you considered the possibility of coccidiosis. Are you aware that some respiratory diseases become chronic, and that she may be a threat to your flock?
Yes I'm aware, I'm going to begin precautionary antibiotics in the whole flocks water supply as well the sick bird is completely separated from the rest of my flock. Coccidiosis? What would be a proper treatment method for that along with the antibiotics?

I would *not* treat the whole flock with antibiotics, I would only treat the sick ones. If you're in the US, Corid is what most people use to treat coccidiosis.

Treating Coccidiosis with Corid, Amprol, AmproMed  - The Correct Amprolium Dose

Treating Coccidiosis with Corid, Amprol, AmproMed - The Correct Amprolium Dose

Treating Coccidiosis with Corid, Amprol, AmproMed The Correct Amprolium Dose Treatment 20% Powder 9.6% Liquid For 3-5 days 1.5 teaspoons per gallon 2 teaspoons per gallon then for 7-14 days 1/3 teaspoon per gallon 1/2 teaspoon per gallon When treating coccidisosis in my own birds I...
Corid Amprolium Oral Drench Instructions

Corid Amprolium Oral Drench Instructions

When treating a bird for coccidiosis one can give an oral drench in addition to their medicated water. Here are the instructions: 9.6% liquid - Do not dilute Give 0.1 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days. or 0.02 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or...

Back
Top Bottom