Sick chicken?

Mungaro

Hatching
Feb 7, 2023
Hi! I’m new here. I have a chicken who recently had a case of bumble foot. I’ve been soaking, disinfecting, and wrapping the foot and it’s been healing nicely. I went to the coop this morning and noticed she had a strange posture and her comb looked very off to me. Not sure what could be the cause. Could the infection of the bumble foot have spread? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 2EFC2C55-A384-4778-81F5-DAE2AC8894D0.jpeg
    2EFC2C55-A384-4778-81F5-DAE2AC8894D0.jpeg
    430.5 KB · Views: 15
Hi! I’m new here. I have a chicken who recently had a case of bumble foot. I’ve been soaking, disinfecting, and wrapping the foot and it’s been healing nicely. I went to the coop this morning and noticed she had a strange posture and her comb looked very off to me. Not sure what could be the cause. Could the infection of the bumble foot have spread? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
It looks like frost bite, but if her comb does not naturally flop over like that she is sick. Is she making any weird noises? Is she lethargic? Does her poop look normal?

No strange noises. Doesn’t seem to be lethargic just strange posture. She normally has a very bright red comb. We live in Wyoming so we have a winterized chicken run with heat lamps to prevent frost bite and our extreme cold weather from getting to them. I haven’t noticed her poop as I have 8 other hens so it’s hard to decipher who’s poop is who’s.

Also, Combs are mostly made of water, which means it will also be a good way to tell when your chicken doesn't have enough of it. If you notice your chicken's comb suddenly get floppy or limp, there's a high possibility it's dehydrated.
Ok. I did add some electrolytes to their water this morning thinking that was a possibility

No strange noises. Doesn’t seem to be lethargic just strange posture. She normally has a very bright red comb. We live in Wyoming so we have a winterized chicken run with heat lamps to prevent frost bite and our extreme cold weather from getting to them. I haven’t noticed her poop as I have 8 other hens so it’s hard to decipher who’s poop is who’s.
A pale comb could indicate that your chicken is suffering from anemia. Anemia is the lack of oxygen as a result of poor blood circulation. Anemia in chickens is often caused by fleas, lice, and mites. It could also occasionally occur from lack of nutrients in their food. In this situation, if you find pests you should treat the pests, or change your chickens diet. What are you feeding them?

A pale comb could indicate that your chicken is suffering from anemia. Anemia is the lack of oxygen as a result of poor blood circulation. Anemia in chickens is often caused by fleas, lice, and mites. It could also occasionally occur from lack of nutrients in their food. In this situation, if you find pests you should treat the pests, or change your chickens diet. What are you feeding them?
No pests. I thoroughly check their coop, change bedding once a week and spray for mites and lice. I feed layer pellets, scratch grain, meal worms, and I provide treats such as fresh veggies, frozen berries, and scrambled eggs if eggs happen to freeze so they don’t go to waist.

No pests. I thoroughly check their coop, change bedding once a week and spray for mites and lice. I feed layer pellets, scratch grain, meal worms, and I provide treats such as fresh veggies, frozen berries, and scrambled eggs if eggs happen to freeze so they don’t go to waist.
That’s great! Do you feed them egg shells? It’s a good source of calcium.

Back
Top Bottom