Sick chicken?

edgy6ellie

In the Brooder
Oct 21, 2021
This morning i let my girls out and noticed one of them asleep on some eggs, her next was extended and beak burried in the bedding. I woke her up several times and she just kept doing the same. Ive picked her up and put her on the floor but she just wobbles around and gets back to her nest. Shes not been broody before and its very bizarre behaviour.

This morning i let my girls out and noticed one of them asleep on some eggs, her next was extended and beak burried in the bedding. I woke her up several times and she just kept doing the same. Ive picked her up and put her on the floor but she just wobbles around and gets back to her nest. Shes not been broody before and its very bizarre behaviour.
My hens do this before they die :(. How old is she? Is her abdomen swollen, crop full like a water balloon or is she really light? I think for now you should leave her on the nest in peace.

My hens do this before they die :(. How old is she? Is her abdomen swollen, crop full like a water balloon or is she really light? I think for now you should leave her on the nest in peace.
She’s just coming up to be a year old, her abdomen is a little bit swollen and her crop is pretty much empty. She was absolutely fine yesterday

She’s just coming up to be a year old, her abdomen is a little bit swollen and her crop is pretty much empty. She was absolutely fine yesterday
Since it wasn't swollen yesterday, maybe she could be egg bound? I would bathe her for 20 minutes in warm water with epsom salts and then put her in a dark secluded nest to lay the egg. I'm not sure that she is egg bound but better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom