sick chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bkyrdchckn, Dec 8, 2013.

1. bkyrdchckn

bkyrdchckn New Egg

Sep 24, 2013
    The other morning I went out to feed my chickens, and i noticed that one was still in the coop. I went in and found one of our gold sex-links sitting in a very rigid straight up position, she was almost sitting like a dog or cat. Her comb was very purple and was floppy. I removed her from the coop and brought her into the house in front of a heater, (we live in Colorado, and its winter so it is very cold, so I thought maybe she would get better if she was warm). She seemed to be suffering, she couldn't hold her head up, it was laying very limply next to her. She looked dead. She was there for a few hours at least, and pooped, (very runny, green) and she was not moving at all. I researched everything about her condition, but no results came up. We finally just put her out of her misery, it was clear she would not improve at all. All the other chickens are fine, none of the other ones are showing any symptoms of illness. Has anybody ever seen anything similar to this, we are new chicken owners so we are still learning, or known anyone this has happened to? I want to have a healthy flock, and hopefully prevent this from happening again! Thanks!!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    you may want to post in the "emergencies, diseases,injuries, cures thread," and ask if she might have had a heart attack or stroke. Give as much information as you can, age, symptoms, time period before you first noticed and her passing? If this is just something that happened to her (heart attack etc.) you wouldn't have to worry so much about your others. If others think it was disease or poison or ??? you might need medical assistance to keep the flock healthy.

3. bkyrdchckn

bkyrdchckn New Egg

Sep 24, 2013
    Yeah I did another one in the other thread thank you :) We are unsure of her age, she came from another lady as an adult hen, not much information. I had only noticed it that morning, she was fine the night before.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! Sorry about your girl, hope everybody else is OK.

5. bkyrdchckn

bkyrdchckn New Egg

Sep 24, 2013
    Thank you! I hope it wasn't something contagious, but i removed her pretty quickly after finding her. I love my chickens and I hope this doesnt happen to any of the others!

6. ducklingsweety

ducklingsweety Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2013
    parkland washington
    i'm sorry! just try to watch your other birds for illness! and[​IMG]

7. chickie farmer

chickie farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2013
    could mice or rats have got into the feed and possibly left droppings. I know that will make them sick but don't know if that would be a cause or maybe eating fertilizer, or possibly rat (mice) poison. Just a thought. And as ducklingsweety said, x2.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sometimes, sadly enough, they just die. Hopefully it is nothing contagious - good luck.

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by