1. Lee Road chicks

Lee Road chicks New Egg

Aug 23, 2014
    One of my 3 year old chickens (Americana) is breathing with her mouth open and making weak sounding noises. She is not eating well and appears to be getting weak. She is also missing the feathers around her neck. Do y'all know what she has? And what should I do?

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Have you checked for mites and lice? Have you wormed your chickens? Do you have a rooster? How is her body condition - thin or normal? Has she been injured? What does her poop look like?

3. Lee Road chicks

Lee Road chicks New Egg

Aug 23, 2014
    I have not wormed them. Don't really know about mites or how to check. Have no rooster and the chickens all get along good. She may be a little thin, but was not big to start. Just made a mush of laying pellets and she is eating it.

4. enola

Worming them would probably make them gain some weight. Worm overload can kill chickens it just is a slow death. I worm two times per year.

5. Lee Road chicks

Lee Road chicks New Egg

Aug 23, 2014
    Just saw her poop and it was clear, also I notice her comb is a little purple not bright red like the other one. Gave her some water and a dropper of olive oil. She's just sitting in the flower bed now.

6. enola

Are your other chickens acting normal?

Her comb being purple concerns me. Is the weather really hot there today? Is she in shade?

7. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I would put her in a shallow dish of cool water. Purple comb indicates lack of oxygen, which can be related to heat stress.

Lol, you won't see worms typically, until after you've wormed them, they can come out after they've died.

8. enola

Do not put her in cool water. If she needs to be cooled off simply mist her breast feathers. The last thing she needs now is to be put in shock by lowering her body temperature too quickly.

Bringing her inside will probably be sufficient for cooling her off.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

Update?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by