Sick chicken... :(

unicornia

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 14, 2012
Sussex County, NJ
First, she was walking like a penguin, starting 2 -3 days ago. I researched and suspected egg-bound. Gave her several warm baths, tried to get calcium in her. She eats and drinks a little. Did a cloacal exam. Felt no egg, definitely got in 2 inches. She is now still in the bath tub, droopy comb, tail down, eating and drinking just a little, poops small but normal color and texture poops, and is breathing heavily, sometimes eyes close halfway. Humidifier going, heat lamp on. Its freezing temperatures outside, we live in NJ, it was warming up then we had another cold snap, and its below freezing temperatures again. Did this make her sick? Not sure what to do now, or how to help, I have searched this forum and others and cant seem to figure it out. So sad. She is 3 years old, as I understand, old for a free range chicken in this area; she is a white chicken, I don't know what breed, as Tractor Supply (where I got her) couldnt even tell me when I asked. Can anyone help, please?

Last edited:
sounds like one of my girls just about 4 months ago...Comber had same symptons all droopy thought she was egg bound so I did more research turned out she had sour crop...is your winged child dripping water from her mouth like she cant keep it down?If that's whats going on smell her beak for a sour smell and get back to me

There is no liquid coming out of her beak when she drinks. I have attempted to check her crop, but I am new to this exam, and dont really know what I am feeling. Nothing feels squishy. I will check my other healthy chicken, then check my sick one, and compare.... thank you for your help!

she also is really messy around the vent, like seen in the pictures of "Vent Gleet" or "nasty butt." so, now i am wondering if it is vent gleet? would this cause her to put her tail down, and not have much of an appetite?

ok, now i think she has egg yolk peritonitis, or internal laying. swollen around vent, walking like a penguin, heavy breathing, listless, droppy comb, messy bottom... recomendations for medicine anyone? i heard of Duramycin-10, tetracyline hydrochloride soluble powder...

i have a chicken with these symptoms:

walking and standing like a penguin, not lying down.
mouth breathing, belabored breathing
did cloacal exam: no egg felt (got my finger in 2 inches)
messy bottom, sticky mess
red and swollen around the vent
low energy (she is in the bathtub in my house b/c its cold outside, i am in NJ)
eating some, drinking a little
eyes closing halfway sometimes
pooping small poops, used to be normal in texture and color, now turning green.

after ruling out many things and doing lots of reading, i am thinking egg yolk peritonitis, and i got the duramycin 10. then i thought, but what if its vent gleet? and the antibiotics make it worse?

i have a chicken with these symptoms:

walking and standing like a penguin, not lying down.
mouth breathing, belabored breathing
did cloacal exam: no egg felt (got my finger in 2 inches)
messy bottom, sticky mess
red and swollen around the vent
low energy (she is in the bathtub in my house b/c its cold outside, i am in NJ)
eating some, drinking a little
eyes closing halfway sometimes
pooping small poops, used to be normal in texture and color, now turning green.

after ruling out many things and doing lots of reading, i am thinking egg yolk peritonitis, and i got the duramycin 10. then i thought, but what if its vent gleet? and the antibiotics make it worse?
That's exactly what this hen was doing:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...scites-and-eyp-very-graphic-necropsy-pictures

Click only if you don't mind graphic necropsy pictures.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom