Sick chickens...injectable antibiotic?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenChik, Jun 26, 2010.

1. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    DH and I recently bought 2 silkies from a guy a few towns over. The chickens look fine but the place that we got them from was HORRIBLE. I currently have them separated and on antibiotic (in the water). But I didn't want to run the risk of contaminating the other chickens. I was wondering if there as an injectable antibiotic or something else that I could give them???

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I don't understand why you're giving them antibiotics at all. If they are exhibiting no symptoms, you should not be medicating them. You SHOULD be keeping them quarantined away from your existing flock for at least 3-4 weeks in case any pre existing condition surfaces. Watch them closely for any signs of lethargy, weakness, incoordination, nasal/respiratory symptoms, etc. If there are no symptoms during the 1 month quarantine, then you'll probably be ok introducing them to your flock.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I agree with the previous poster. Antibiotics won't do a thing if these birds have any communicable virus. Quarantine is your best bet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by