Sick Chickens

brahmabreeder

Songster
7 Years
Feb 22, 2012
Northeast Ohio

Symptoms: weight loss; ruffled feathers; droopy wings; sucked in neck; lack of appetite; stand alone and motionless; growths inside the mouth( only noticed it in the one white bird )

So far I gave them Duramycin( sp? ) with no improvement. I also decided to try corid. The one bird hasn't gotten a ton better but has ceased getting worse. Not sure on my other two that I separated as I just pulled them last night/this morning. Any one know what this might be and how to cure it?

I did give the ones in the quarantine pen some wormer. I also gave everyone in the coop the sick birds keep coming from a good amount of spray that treats lice and mites. Probably will de worm the other birds later today.

The white one died. I cut it open and only found this one weird tape worm looking thing in it. I'm not sure if that's actually what it was or not but it was next to it's intestines and stuff. It had all those bumps in it's mouth though.

Last edited:
I think you're right about the canker. I'm ordering medicine tonight. I emailed Twin City Poultry and they think it's coccidiosis. I'm going to try with the corid and canker meds and see where that gets me. Thanks for the help.

I would think it was coccidiosis just from the way they are sitting all puffed up. Poor appetite, ruffled feathers, etc. What dose of Corid are you using? The liquid is 2 tsp per gallon, and the powder is 1 1/2 tsp. You may have to force feed it to get them to drink enough. You can do a second dosing at 1/2 strength after the first 5 day dose. Those lesions in the mouth to me are questionable about being canker. Maybe someone who has seen it will post.

I've treated for the coccidiosis but I still haven't treated for canker yet. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've noticed my one rooster also has those bump things in his throat. All three of my roosters and one hen have nasty smelling stuff in there ears. I'm assuming this is also canker. I ordered these tablet things from Twin City poultry that say they treat this and blackhead. Just want to know what will help in the mean time.

Back
Top Bottom