Sick chickies

bbeckham1975

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
I'm a new chicken owner. I have 9 hens(4 barred rocks, 2 rhode island reds, 2 Ameracaunas, and a buff orpington) ranging from a month and a half to 3 months of age. I bought them a week ago. I've noticed that they have pale wattles and cones(most of which are almost completely white), a few of them have diarrhea, and they all seem to have their mouthes open and breathing heavy and rapidly. I've also noticed that a couple of them seem to have a runny nose. They all seem to have a healthy appetite, and are drinking fine. Today I started a deep litter in their 8x10 foot coop in which I spread some diatomaceous earth. I also started them on some sav-a-chick electrolytes. Can anyone tell me what could be wrong with my hens, and what else I could do to aid them?

If they have their mouths open & are breathing heavily, then they are hot.

Some thing to consider are:

Are there too many is one space?
It it hot weather?
Is there air circulating the pen? (would help if there is)

I don't think it's anything serious, just make sure your chickens are kept cool when they are too warm

Upon inspecting a few of my birds today, I found that a few have mites. Could this cause all or some of the symptoms? What is the best treatment for mites?

The heat is most likely part of your problem, combined with the lice/mites.
You can use poultry dust on your birds. Use an old knee high stocking, put some dust in it and just kinda "poof" if on them concentrating on the areas around the vent and under the wings. I also make sure I rub some around their necks. If you have some, you can also use Sevin dust(not to be used more than a few times a year). Also, dust the coop and around the perch.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom