Sick chicks and loosing a few.

A_BFarms

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2022
Pope, MS
Hello everyone,
I've been growing my own flock for a couple of years. This year I hatched a clutch and bought a couple of straight runs from separate farms (3 separate brooders) .Some of my chicks are acting sickly and I've lost a few in each batch , lethargic, not very active, fluffed up in a crouched position, not eating and drinking as much as the others . I've added Corid to their waters for about 4 days in a row.. just added poultry cell today they've been on medicated chick starter since day one.. Changing bedding 3 times a week.. I'm feeling so defeated, I don't know what else to do . What are some other suggestions??

Sitting around listless is often a sign of coccidiosis. However, how old were the chicks when they started acting sick?

If very young, like within the first couple of weeks, coccidiosis is not the first issue, usually. Three weeks would be early while most cases don't start until at least 4 weeks simply due to the time it takes for the protozoa overgrowth to escalate enough to show signs of sickness. Most coccidia cases hit at about 8 weeks of age.

Now back to your issue. Since it is hitting all brooders, apparently equally, my guess is the straight runs brought something into your farm...a virus of some sort...a bacterial infection...that has spread (assuming this hit fairly early and is not coccidiosis).

Has there been any other kinds of symptoms? Pasty butt (signs of diarrhea). Gasping for air?

It's hard to know without lab reports. Can you take a fecal to a lab to see if what kind of infection you have?

I'm sorry you are experiencing such losses.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom