Sick Chicks?

MadamPoofyBrow

Crowing
7 Years
Jun 15, 2015
I have 2 droopy chicks. They stand with their wings and heads down. One of them (Wyandotte) is very light and won’t eat/drink. This one began acting this way last night. The other (buttercup) eats/drinks and puts up a decent fight when I pick him up. This started yesterday morning. They are ten days one. Vaccinated for marek’s and coccidiosis. The buttercup has normal poop, haven’t seen the Wyandotte for sure yet.
I’ve offered them sugar water at someone’s suggestion, one drank and the other only took one drink when I dipped her beak.
They are with 19 other chicks who are all acting normal.
Any suggestions on what to do or thoughts on what the problem might be?

I don't know much about chick sicknesses, but maybe try changing the sugar water to water with sav-a-chick or nutri drench electrolytes in it, if they're available to you? I'm sorry that I can't be more of a help.

Thanks @black_cat ! I don’t have any on hand but am planning on getting some today.

Additional notes:
They don’t have any other symptoms, no respiratory issues etc.

Their food / water / brooder is cleaned twice daily

They are fed exclusively chick starter (not medicated) with some occasional crumbled boiled egg yolk and have access to chick grit. They don’t eat very much grit but they do nibble occasionally.

They are housed inside and kept at around 85 degrees, everyone seems comfortable as far as temp goes

One chick had diarrhea a couple of days ago, but it was neither of these and she was back to normal the next day

They are from Murray McMurray hatchery, were in the mail less than 48 hours, and all acted perfect when they arrived and up until yesterday

Hope that’s enough info :)

Edit to add:
Probably about half of the chicks had trouble with poop sticking for the first several days. I have this problem a lot with mail order chicks and use a warm wet paper towel to clean them several times a day and keep their vents clear. They’ve all been clear for 3-4 days now.

Here’s some pics, but they don’t really show much. I set them in the mailing box to get pics and see if they would drink away from the others.

Attachments

• 684AA5D7-CD85-48E4-9F27-9C99CCEC9F5F.jpeg
    684AA5D7-CD85-48E4-9F27-9C99CCEC9F5F.jpeg
    532.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 2EA73B88-ABC4-4A67-9F7E-D2671258DBBA.jpeg
    2EA73B88-ABC4-4A67-9F7E-D2671258DBBA.jpeg
    614 KB · Views: 2
Update: Wyandotte died. She went down hill rapidly since this morning

The buttercup’s hanging in there. He’s acting the same as he has been.

Update:
Buttercup is still doing the same. He walks around in a slump but runs and plays with the rest of them. Play fights with the other cockerels. Just stands like something’s wrong. He’s a little smaller than my buttercup pullet, and he feathered out a little slower, but acts healthy other than the way he stands/walks. Anyone seen this before?

Attachments

• 9B3463A0-90E3-48F6-BF6A-FBF7E1826A86.jpeg
    9B3463A0-90E3-48F6-BF6A-FBF7E1826A86.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom