Sick chicks?

scarlett13

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2015
Alabama
I bought four 3-4 week old chicks on Friday. I bought them from a breeder nearby. He said they are Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas and I saw the parents on site. The father was a beautiful splash Rooster so hopefully they are pure. Anyway- when I got home with them I noticed bloody poop in the crate and two were pretty lethargic. The forums here and Google helped me deduce they probably have coccidiosis so I ran up to Tractor Supply to pick up some Corid but they were out of stock. The local co op only had a gallon size. I was able to order some on Amazon but even with Prime 2 day shipping it's not guaranteed to arrive until Tuesday. In the meantime I decided to start them on probiotics, vitamins, electrolytes, ACV in their water, and add a little DE to their chick starter- just hoping to keep them alive until the meds arrive. By Sunday I was seeing no bloody poop at all and they have all perked up considerably. They are eating and drinking well and just visibly appear healthier. My question is- should I treat them with the Corid anyway when it gets here. I don't want to give them unnecessary meds but I also don't want a relapse. The Corid won't hurt them if they don't actually have coccidiosis will it?

I bought four 3-4 week old chicks on Friday. I bought them from a breeder nearby. He said they are Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas and I saw the parents on site. The father was a beautiful splash Rooster so hopefully they are pure. Anyway- when I got home with them I noticed bloody poop in the crate and two were pretty lethargic. The forums here and Google helped me deduce they probably have coccidiosis so I ran up to Tractor Supply to pick up some Corid but they were out of stock. The local co op only had a gallon size. I was able to order some on Amazon but even with Prime 2 day shipping it's not guaranteed to arrive until Tuesday. In the meantime I decided to start them on probiotics, vitamins, electrolytes, ACV in their water, and add a little DE to their chick starter- just hoping to keep them alive until the meds arrive. By Sunday I was seeing no bloody poop at all and they have all perked up considerably. They are eating and drinking well and just visibly appear healthier. My question is- should I treat them with the Corid anyway when it gets here. I don't want to give them unnecessary meds but I also don't want a relapse. The Corid won't hurt them if they don't actually have coccidiosis will it?

I would definitely follow up by treating them with corid when you get it. Glad things are looking better with the alternative treatment you did. Do you have other chickens? If so, these should be quarantined away from them for 30-60days. For best practices, new chickens should always be quarantined.

ETA:
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
I agree with Outpost JWB, definitely treat them with the corid and keep them away from the rest of your flock. In my experience I have had the exact same problem and even when they look fine they seem to relapse with coccidiosis quickly if not treated with corid.

I agree with Outpost JWB, definitely treat them with the corid and keep them away from the rest of your flock. In my experience I have had the exact same problem and even when they look fine they seem to relapse with coccidiosis quickly if not treated with corid.

I agree with white guinea333 completely. You have to treat them. Coccidiosis will not just go away without treatment.

Ok I will go ahead and treat them as soon as it gets here. Better safe than sorry! I do have other chickens- 3 brahmas. I have been keeping these babies in the house and didn't plan on introducing them to the big girls until they get bigger.

Back
Top Bottom