Sick chook

Jaynemccalman

Hatching
Oct 12, 2023
Help!!!
I have a sick hen, she seemed to have a respiratory infection which I treated on and off with antibiotics over the course of several months (a few nights isolated with the antibiotic water at a time). Since then she has become very lethargic, comb laying over, tail down, not moving much. She had lots of mites which I have eradicated. A week ago. She is still unwell and now has what seems to be gleet vent, a smelly clear dripping discharge from her vent. She is eating and drinking a little but not pecking or scratching. She seems to be unable to stand on one foot at times and falls over.
Any ideas much appreciated.

So sorry for her troubles 💔

How old is she?
What did you use to eradicate the mites-
And, did you use treatment on her, on everyone, and/ or in the coop?

Is she back w the flock, or still isolated?
What are you feeding?
Any treats?
Supplements or meds still ongoing?

How is her poop looking?

The more info you can provide, the more helpful we can be! 😊

Last edited:
Thanks for replying. She would have to be a few years old I think but not old. I bathed her in salty water and ACV and then we dusted he with lots of sulphur and picked the mites off by hand. I sprayed her coup with insect spray but she hasn’t been in there, she is isolated. In the house in a laundry basket at night and on the lawn/basket during the day. A couple of days ago when outside I found meat ants around her bum and picked them all off. I’m feeding her bits of meat and cheese and bread, whatever tempts her.
I’ve just given her some sauerkraut, probiotics in water and will put some antifungal around her vent. Her poop is small, I think most of it sticks to her. I only realised her bum was dripping the smelly fluid today.

It sounds like she may have a few different issues happening at the same time....
Can you please describe the mites?
Were they red, white, could you see how many legs they had?

I’m thinking you may need to give her calcium and possibly take a more aggressive approach to the mites - and a more aggressive approach to treating your main (and quarantine) coops w pyrethrum spray or powder. It is available at most feed stores, or from Amazon, and not very expensive.
I keep this on hand

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Y-Tex-P...K2GRJDM&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_m_grid_dv_rp_0_22_i

If she needs calcium, it is also available fairly inexpensively from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000HHLREY/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_4?smid=A3V0TGU62IMMRI&psc=1

@Eggcessive do you have anything to add that I’ve missed? This seems like a bit of a tricky case...

She is not in the coup but I will spray or dust with pyrethrum and maybe try calcium if she is still alive by the the time I get it.

I agree, the mites are the worst thing that have to be dealt with, and eradicated. Treat every 7 days until they are gone. Gget the coop treated with new bedding as well. Then make sure the crop feels up with food and water, and then empties normally at night. Keep mostly on moistened chicken feed with some egg for treats. The chronic respiratory disease has made her unthrifty and can come back again. It also spreads the disease to others.

Back
Top Bottom