Sick Cochin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Allieharmon, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Allieharmon

Allieharmon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    North Carolina
    My 2 1/2 yr old Cochin is sick. She is extremely malnourished and became so while acting normally. I had the same thing happen about 3 months ago with one of my Marans. I had to cull her. I have 25 other chickens who are perfectly healthy and a good weight. (I checked everyone). She eats and drinks. Her legs are a little weak. She clucks happily. Yesterday her urea had a was pink. Otherwise her poop is normal-no blood clots like you see with coccidiosis. What is wrong with my chicken??? I def. need some help. This case has me baffled.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Pink urates in the droppings can be normal overnight. Reproductive problems can be common in hens that age. Egg yolk peritonitis, internal laying, and other conditions can cause weak legs, a swollen lower abdomen, loss of weight in the breast area, a penguin stance, and soft shelled or absence of eggs. Most conditions like this may not be found until a necropsy is done after death. You could try treating her for necrotic enteritis with Tylan, oxytetracycline, or another antibiotic, and then give her a course of Corid afterward, just in case there is a coccidia overload. Probiotics in her diet or a small amount of plain yogurt may help with her diarrhea. There is blood in only the worst strains of coccidiosis--some just cause chronic wasting and diarrhea. Diseases like Mareks can also cause wasting.
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/101/necrotic-enteritis/

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by