Sick cornish X, Please help!!!!

jalfano

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 6, 2014
Hello, my brother found what seems to be a broiler breed, or a cornish X in Coney Island, NY, wandering around on the street. He took her home because I have chickens and he thought that I would be able to take her in. She looks very weak and lethargic, all the feathers are missing from her back side and some from her belly. She doesn't seem to be injured. She stands in one place and closes her eyes, occasionally will peck at food and water. I currently have layers and don't have experience with a meat bird. I read they usually do not live very long, not sure what to do with this poor girl. We are going to give her some worm medication and she doesn't seem to have mites, but I think it would be too traumatizing to try to introduce her to my flock. Any advice welcome.

If she is showing symptoms of illness do not put her anywhere near your birds until her symptoms passed (practice good biosecurity.) Wild or Feral birds seem to carry in more diseases and issues but that's strange that a cornish cross was wandering the streets. Normally when we butcher cornish cross we don't worm them because it can cause us harm.

She's probably come off a truck going to a processing plant. No doubt she's traumatized. By all means, keep her quarantined from the rest of your flock. She probably could use some TLC, rest, food, water, and vitamins. I doubt she needs worming.

Back
Top Bottom