sick diamond dove!!

Quailchild

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 10, 2013
My dove is sick.
I woke up this morning and the one was on the ground of the cage, not even standing, just sitting, eyes closed, huddled up. Very lethargic. I picked him/her up (easily, no real struggle besides some flaps) and it's breast bone can be felt. I'm isolating her in her own cage.
With a heating pad to try and keep her warm and stable. She ate some seed/grit I placed before her. hasn't responded much to the water. Since I purchased her and the other dove, from Petsmart a week ago, she's gradually grown more and more lethargic. Always puffed up. Just today it's worsened....
There's no discharge from her vent, eyes/nose/etcetera, Her bum looks clean and poops have seemed..healthy??

The other dove is PERFECTLY fine. Like, full breasted, very alert, just fine.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions, please do.

Thank you for your response! I'm planning a vet visit.

I wonder if there's something critically wrong with how I am feeding them?

I feed them " Kaytee- Gourmet Variety diet" seed mix sprinkled with a bit of high-calcium grit. Then every other day I put one or two drops of "Oasis- Vita drops (for small birds) " into their seed mixture.

I don't know what was being fed to them at the store , so I wonder if this dove has not adjusted to it's new diet very well? Or perhaps some liver issues are arrising? I have a vial of Milk thistle from last summer. Though I don't trust using it. Does milk thistle expire at all?

Here is a photo of their poops. The 'sick' dove's poops are concentrated to the far left....If anyone can deduct anything from this photo/this information, I would be more than grateful, as a fledgeling dove owner. I'm not sure if the red is the content of the poop or the news paper dye bleeding....I'm leaning on content of the poop.

Thanks!

Good thing you're going to the vet, but keep in mind that the stress of going to the vet might be too much for it... Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you should try to treat at home, the vet is the way to go, just be prepared and don't beat yourself up if it doesn't make it.
hugs.gif

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom