Sick DUCK and chicken covered in lice,

Le Mitzer

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 24, 2011
Provence
I bought a hooded apricot ranger duck and a faverolle chicken at a poultry show (one month and half ago), and paid 45 euro each, when i brought them home i quarentined them, and have been so ever since ...

i notice a couple days later that the faverolle was covered in lice, so I did the DE treatment and i gave her a couple drops of invomectin that i had left over, and she is all better now,
BUT a week ago i noticed the duck; she is walking like she is drunk and is having trouble breathing, i called the guy i got them off, and her blames it on me, and says i have to de worm her and give her shots of antibototic everyday for the next couple days....

And im not going to invest a huge amount of money in her, im already WAY over budget, so if need be...............unfortunately.....;

im worried that i may have to put her down in risk of infecting the rest......; i will do my best to save her before that .... and im feeding her special ornimental duck food, freash water everyday, she is in a brand new avairy, shelter, fresh hay, so i dont know

how long should i wait? if it has been a week and she hasnt gotten better, do i wait another week then, i dont want to kill her, but i REALLY dont want to kill my entire flock if they all get sick,

so it is better safe then sorry, or what, im so lost, a bit of advice, PLeASe

so if anyone has advice it would be very much appreciated

Yikes. This is why I never purchase birds from shows or swaps.

The duck I would cull. The chicken I would be of 2 minds about. Chances are good that she is carrying something nasty. Do you have a bird you don't mind sacrificing from your flock? (I keep one evil bird around just for these purposes.) If so, put your unlucky bird in with the new chicken for the next month. If your bird gets sick while in quarantine with the new bird, then you know the new bird is carrying something you don't want in your flock. At that point, I would cull both the new bird and the unlucky bird.

My Faverolles seem to get lice infested much faster than my other birds, so I dust them on a regular basis. I guess I'm lucky in that I have a supply of most wormers and many prescription antibiotics, so I would deworm both the chicken and the duck with fenbendazole (Safeguard/Panacur) and I'd probably start the duck on an antibiotic like Baytril (enrofloxacin).

I like the idea of the sacrificial bird that Flock Mistress suggested.

sorry to re post

how long should i wait? if it has been a week and she hasnt gotten much better, do i wait another week then cull, i dont want to kill her, but i REALLY dont want to kill my entire flock either if they all get sick,

sorry to re post

how long should i wait? if it has been a week and she hasnt gotten much better, do i wait another week then cull, i dont want to kill her, but i REALLY dont want to kill my entire flock either if they all get sick,
Can you get any type of antibiotic or wormer? Has she lost weight?

im not to sure of the names, i have them written down; the deworm is poly something or other, and the antibiotic is one i have to give with a needle a shot to the neck, they are both french products
and when then the vet explain how to give the shot to the duck, he said that i had to prick her in the neck, but in french neck and butt sound alike, so luckly in the end we got the right ; .....
ep.gif
;

and she doesnt look like she has lost weight....

but when she goes to scratchs her bill with her foot she falls to the ground, walks in zig zags, then she is doing full body breathing almost all the time

Last edited:
If you can't take her to a vet, give her whatever you have, but weigh her first so you know how much to give her. Then weigh her every couple of days to see if she's losing or gaining weight.

Last edited:
well i have some good news and some bad, my faverolle is doing much better, no more lice, and is with the rest of the flock,

but unfortunately the abacot ranger duck died last night,

i did the DE method on the chicken with a couple of drops of ivomectin,and it worked like a charm; but the duck i did nothing and hope for the best and that time would help her,( for the fact that ducks are more resistant then chickens)and for a bit she did look like she was getting better, but then she got much worst, then the next day she died.

so from the moment she got what i think is ( flaccid paralysis due to botulism) it was 9 days after she died. so to anyone out there that has a duck that gets Botulism (walking drunk , hard time breathing, limp neck), either you do a charcoal flush right away!!!!!!!!!( which can be complicated and not the easyest thing to do) or you will have to cull ( which is even harder); because if not, your duck will not get better on its own it will just slowly die over a week.

i know it is hard to put a pet down,but it is better on them in the long run, so they wont suffer like mine did....
sad.png

and i think she got botulism from eatting some grains that were moldy, but where so found them? i dont know beause i clean once a week, to prevent a things like that happening.....so i guess you never know.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom