Sick duck!! Help needed!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckyGurl, Mar 18, 2013.

1. DuckyGurl

DuckyGurl Overrun With Chickens

I bought a call duck yesterday at a swap, and quarantined her in my garage for awhile to make sure she isn't sick. Well, I thought she was hissing at me earlier, but when I got her out of the cage her bill was wet-ish, but not all over. Just under her nostrils. And it looked like there was some fluid or something in her nostrils, because when she was breathing there were little 'bubbles' as she exhaled. She rests a lot, but I thought that was just because she was in a small cage, not much room to do anything.
    Help please!

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Check this http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/diagnostic chart.htm Use it as a reference only. Just because she has a symptom doesn't mean she has the illness associated with it.

I am not good with illnesses. You should keep her quarantined for at least 30 days. Make sure she has something that she can dip her head in constantly to clear any blockage.

3. DuckyGurl

Well, it's hard to match the symptoms on that chart. :/ thank you though.
    Anyone else? She is acting the same today, but I noticed it is more so when she gets nervous, if I'm around or holding her, and such. And I noticed her tail is slightly clamped. Could it just be a respiratory thing, or maybe stress from moving???? Any help is appreciated greatly!

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Could be a number of things, so here's what I would do.

Get her into a lukewarm bath - that may help her relax, it's good for circulation, the moist air may help her breathing, and you can see how she moves, if she moves.

For example, when Romy was having a hard time passing the remainder of a soft egg, I put her in the tub. She just floated there, hardly moving. And hour later, she was paddling gently and began to pass the membrane. She paddled just a little bit, and uttered a few little chirps. Within another hour she had passed the membrane, eaten some peas, and was talking very loudly, and swim-pacing the tub. She had recovered.

I would also get some apple cider vinegar (unpasteurized is best) into her water, a tablespoon per half gallon to start with. I would keep her quarantined, as jdywntr suggested.

If you have poultry vitamins with electrolytes and probiotics, give those to her once or twice a week.

One guess I have is that she is either just stressed, or has had a little bug that she was fighting off and the stress of moving overwhelmed her system.

So, rest, a relatively warm and definitely safe place, extra vitamins and electrolytes (the acv helps with electrolytes), and watch.

5. DuckyGurl

Thanks so much Amiga! I put her in a warmish bath, and she paddled around happily. And when I went to get her out, she flew out and ran about my garage. So, I think she's ok. My friend said that one of their calls used to get sinus infections, with the runny nose and such, which they treated with garlic tea. So, I think we've hopefully got it figured out!! Thank you again! I will be adding the ACV to her water as well.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Give her something to rinse her nares out in . . . actually, just a little acv in a bucket of water might help if she washes her head in it. Please keep us posted.

7. DuckyGurl

So sorry I didn't keep you posted-my life has been crazy. That bath seemed to help a lot, she'd totally fine now! Thank you so much!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by