Sick duck... in need of help please!

amartinez

In the Brooder
May 11, 2021
My sweet white Peking duck (with a crest), Muffins, has a fever (her duck bill is very warm to the touch). She also has diarrhea, she hasn't eaten in 2 days and she is hardly drinking water. She is about a year old (June 17, 2020) and she started laying eggs when she was a little over 3 months old and has been laying an egg everyday until 2 and a half weeks ago. We were sure she was molting as she started losing her feathers and new ones were coming in and figured that was why she stopped laying eggs. About 2 weeks ago one of the chickens pecked at her eye and made it bleed. We separated them and her eye seemed to be healing until last week when it started to look infected. We wash her eye with saline solution 3 X a day, Goldenseal drops 1X day and Chamomile drops once a day. Her eye looks good but 2 days ago when she stopped eating and drinking water she also stopped running/waddling around. She does move but only takes a few steps then just stands or lays down. Not sure what to do and the Vet can't see her until Saturday... any help is greatly appreciated.

Could she be egg bound? I would try soaking her in warm Epsom water (but don't let her drink it) and give her some crushed tums (mixed in water and maybe put some drops on her tongue, but not down her throat), as well, I would give crushed vitamin d or a poultry vitamin.
She really should see the vet sooner than Saturday though. She doesn't sound well at all.

My sweet white Peking duck (with a crest), Muffins, has a fever (her duck bill is very warm to the touch). She also has diarrhea, she hasn't eaten in 2 days and she is hardly drinking water. She is about a year old (June 17, 2020) and she started laying eggs when she was a little over 3 months old and has been laying an egg everyday until 2 and a half weeks ago. We were sure she was molting as she started losing her feathers and new ones were coming in and figured that was why she stopped laying eggs. About 2 weeks ago one of the chickens pecked at her eye and made it bleed. We separated them and her eye seemed to be healing until last week when it started to look infected. We wash her eye with saline solution 3 X a day, Goldenseal drops 1X day and Chamomile drops once a day. Her eye looks good but 2 days ago when she stopped eating and drinking water she also stopped running/waddling around. She does move but only takes a few steps then just stands or lays down. Not sure what to do and the Vet can't see her until Saturday... any help is greatly appreciated.
Coconut oil on the wound is a wonderful natural antibacterial. You could add that after her saline washes. Hope she recovers.
Thank you for the advice. She just passed in our arms an hour ago. Her health went down super quick...2 days. We are all heartbroken. I am also concerned that I don't know what she had and whether she had something contagious .

Thank you for the advice. She just passed in our arms an hour ago. Her health went down super quick...2 days. We are all heartbroken. I am also concerned that I don't know what she had and whether she had something contagious .
:hugs :hugsI am so sorry, losing feathery friends is always hard, I'm glad you were with her. (Such a cute name by the way!) :hugs:hugs

Thank you. Any advice on helping my kiddos deal with her passing is greatly appreciated. It was their first pet and a support pet for one of them. TIA.

I don't really know. It's hard no matter what when you lose a pet and I'm a grown adult.
If it's not too late, you could have her sent off for a necropsy. At least there would be a peace of mind to know what happened.

Thank you. Any advice on helping my kiddos deal with her passing is greatly appreciated. It was their first pet and a support pet for one of them. TIA.
:hugsI'm so sorry. Everybody grieves differently but when I lost my first pet as a kid my mom just held me and dealt with my wailing for HOURS... looking back on it I'm surprised she didn't pull back and say "whoa... chill out" but she just held me and it helped a lot. I know a lot of kids grieving books say that its helpful to hold little pet services for the kids' bereavement. Memorializing a pet is so so helpful, but everyone is different so maybe ask if that's something they'd be interested in and see what they think?

Finally, when the time is right, maybe approaching getting a new duckling. Maybe hold off a bit to give the kids space to grieve, but later on the excitement of a new pet + holding space for Muffins' memory could be a really helpful combinatory experience for your children! Years ago when I was 23, my childhood dog died. we buried him in the yard, gave him a little service, and planted flowers around his grave. A year later, when we got a new pet, we brought the new guy over to Bruiser's grave and "introduced" them. Even as an adult who doesn't believe in much spiritually, I found that really REALLY comforting. Also, having a physical space to serve as a touchstone of sorts for a pet or a person can be really helpful emotionally. I know if I ever have a really bad day, I can go "talk" to Bruiser outside by the pond.

Again, I'm so sorry for you and your family's loss. It sounds like you all gave Muffins so much love and such a wonderful life. sending lots of hugs :hugs

Back
Top Bottom