sick duck please help

beachgurlsc

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 13, 2014
My Pekin duck is struggling to walk. Acts drunk and falls on her belly. Still eating but not herself. Florescent green poop. Will sometimes breath heavy with open bill. Sometimes looks like she can't get her feed down. The feed store gave me oxytetracycline.Any suggestions.

Last edited:
My Pekin duck is struggling to walk. Acts drunk and falls on her belly. Still eating but not herself. Florescent green poop. Will sometimes breath heavy with open bill. Sometimes looks like she can't get her feed down. The feed store gave me oxytetracycline.Any suggestions.
Could she have eaten something toxic? vegetable/animal matter? hard ware like screws, wire small nails etc. You may need to do a flush on her but better yet a good vet if at all possible,. How old and does she have access to large property in other words how do you keep her/ what does she eat?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213 follow instructions to the T

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...te-falling-weight-loss-lethargy#post_13244769

Last edited:
They roam my front yard and search the dirt and grass for food so it is possible. We don't use anything on the yard as far as chemicals. No chance of any objects. I'm not sure we have a vet locally that works on ducks. I am searching. I will check out the flush. Will the antibiotics be helpful?

They roam my front yard and search the dirt and grass for food so it is possible. We don't use anything on the yard as far as chemicals. No chance of any objects. I'm not sure we have a vet locally that works on ducks. I am searching. I will check out the flush. Will the antibiotics be helpful?
They maybe if it's an infection. is she old enough to lay and if so when is the last time she laid?vent look normal?

She stopped laying about a week ago. I have checked the vent but I have checked her belly for any masses and haven't felt anything. I will check her vent as well.

She stopped laying about a week ago. I have checked the vent but I have checked her belly for any masses and haven't felt anything. I will check her vent as well.
Sometimes if they are having egg laying problems they will have pulsating vent or even have something coming out of it if there is an infection. So always good to check that part of the body out. Best to go over every possibility. And some of mine are in molt so they aren't laying right now. Might be a good idea to get her on some kind of antibiotic, not sure which one would be the best though but I do know a member here that is pretty good about meds and what to use for what her name is casportpony I'll send her this thread and see if she might be on today.

The antibiotic I use most when I suspect a bacterial infection is Baytril, but that's one that has to be ordered. Oxytetracycline is probably one of the better ones that one can get at a feed store. Probably best to put her in a small enclosure with access to food and water 24/7.

This should have the oxytet dose:
http://www.durvet.com/dl/Durvet-Poultry-Brochure.pdf

-Kathy

Edited to include proper pdf.

Last edited:
The antibiotic I use most when I suspect a bacterial infection is Baytril, but that's one that has to be ordered. Oxytetracycline is probably one of the better ones that one can get at a feed store. Probably best to put her in a small enclosure with access to food and water 24/7.

This should have the oxytet dose:
http://www.durvet.com/dl/Durvet-Poultry-Brochure.pdf

-Kathy

Edited to include proper pdf.
Thanks Kathy,
please keep us updated on how she is doing.

Thanks everyone.I started the flush today and will try it for a few days. I bought some Oxytetracycline. Should I continue with the flush or just go ahead with the antibiotics? Also her vent looks good but now she has some seepage from her eyes. ..White bubbles. She is still so determined to try and do what she always does.I will be contacting the Clemson poultry extension tomorrow for additional advice. Thanks again. I will keep you all up-to-date on her progress.

Back
Top Bottom