Sick duck??

Legouffe

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2020
When I first came out this morning two ducks were by the porch, one laying and one standing. Couple hours later they are still in the same spot. The one laying down did not move or make noise when the dog and I approached. I've picked her up which she made no effort to get away. Examined her best I could, no visible wounds, she can move wings, feet look well, eyes and nose are clear, able to walk. She won't stand for long and she won't eat, I've made her some water with Brewers yeast and honey. She won't drink on her own but I gently pushed her beak to the water and she takes sips. Should I add apple cider vinegar? The second duck does move around so maybe she's just keeping her sister company? I've placed them both in a dog crate covered with the water and food. I have no clue what else to do or what could even be wrong?
IMG_20200210_105623.jpg
IMG_20200210_100643.jpg

Welcome to BYC, sorry your duck is sick. :hugs
Is a vet an option? If not, here are my thoughts.

That yellow colored poop almost certainly means she is dehydrated. Can you bring them inside where it's warm (80-85 degrees is ideal, watch for signs of over heating).

Are both pooping like that?
Does the second duck eat?
Are they laying? If so, when was the last egg laid?

Last edited:
Yes I can. the second duck hasn't eaten but a bite but she has drank the water. Her poop is similar in the milky appearance but more white. Unfortunately I have no clue about the egg laying they have hidden their nesting area from me, I've searched my property where I see them linger most but have yet to find it.

Do you have a food scale? If so, may I suggest that you get a baseline weight on both?

Is a vet an option? If a vet is not an option, and the sicker of the two does not start drinking water very soon, I suggest that you start tube feeding fluids, which is very simple and many of us here can teach you how to do it. Tube feeding water, then water and food is not a cure, but it will keep them from dying of dehydration and starvation while you try to figure out what is ailing them.

Do you have a food scale? If so, may I suggest that you get a baseline weight on both?

Is a vet an option? If a vet is not an option, and the sicker of the two does not start drinking water very soon, I suggest that you start tube feeding fluids, which is very simple and many of us here can teach you how to do it. Tube feeding water, then water and food is not a cure, but it will keep them from dying of dehydration and starvation while you try to figure out what is ailing them.

Thanks, any directions on that would be greatly appreciated! Do I need any special tools?

She may have something going on they are picking up on and you can't see. Watch she doesn't drink too much of that Epsom salt water or she may get the runs. It's also a laxative. Where did you see blood? Great to hear the other one is doing well enough to be back with her flock.

Back
Top Bottom