Sick Duck

Betina Courtens

Chirping
Apr 3, 2020
Hello,

I have noticed for a couple of weeks that my one male duck is acting differently. I was hoping itnwas duck depression and the warm weather would cheer it up.
It recently has started to decreased drinking and eating and follows behind its flock more slowly. Its head sits more low than the others. Not drooping but his chest seems larger. I picked him up last night and he was very docile. He did not seem to like me touching his neck and I wonder if that is the issue. He also does not quack much anymore. Ive reached out to a vet. Waiting for a call back. I put it in the tub and it did not play. I noticed it opened its mouth a couple of times no quacking. Some louder breath sounds and one eye with minimal crustys. Respiratory infections maybe?View attachment 3002778

Could be respiratory which means antibiotics. I hope you can find a vet to check him out. Is he having trouble swallowing? Did you feel along his neck gently to feel for something stuck?

Could be respiratory which means antibiotics. I hope you can find a vet to check him out. Is he having trouble swallowing? Did you feel along his neck gently to feel for something stuck?
I did feel his neck and couldn't feel a lump. He started bobbing his head later today so I separated him and made some electrolyte water out of home supplies. I am going to wait until my children fall asleep and try and encourage more drinking. I put him in my bathroom with a full basen of water in the standing shower for him. I noticed both eyes seem to have crustys now. I also left him with meal worms and cut up green beans. I never heard back from the vet... she travels so I am going to take a chance and ahow up at the office to try and catch her tomorrow.

Terramycin eye ointment will help with his eyes but finding out what is causing this will be best. You can also rinse his eyes out with a saline solution [recipes online]
Full basin of water means he can wash his eyes out?

Terramycin eye ointment will help with his eyes but finding out what is causing this will be best. You can also rinse his eyes out with a saline solution [recipes online]
Full basin of water means he can wash his eyes out?
Can I get terramycin over the counter at a tractor supply? Yes its a large sink basen he can dunk his head in.

Attachments

• 16456589676827667622026056109291.jpg
    16456589676827667622026056109291.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom