sick duck

20230210_160729.jpg

She just did this. Could it be an internal infection or maybe coccidia?

View attachment 3401500
She just did this. Could it be an internal infection or maybe coccidia?
I don't believe coccidia I really an issue for ducks. With infections you usually see green poops. This doesn't look normal, but it doesn't have any of the massive red flags, either, as far as I know.

The main thing I want to be sure of, is that her crop is emptying as usual.
Is there any possibility that she's eaten mouldy feed, or anything toxic?

I think you may be right about the start of bumble. I can't tell from the photo, but can you see any scabs on the bumps?
The one on the edge of her foot looks like it might have a scab. I'm getting ready to leave but will check when I get home. And sorry to be posting so many poop pics. I just know it's not normal and that's just about the only symptom she's showing besides not being as active or eating much.

I don't believe coccidia I really an issue for ducks. With infections you usually see green poops. This doesn't look normal, but it doesn't have any of the massive red flags, either, as far as I know.

The main thing I want to be sure of, is that her crop is emptying as usual.
Is there any possibility that she's eaten mouldy feed, or anything toxic?
Not that I know of. Her feed has been fine. She does free range so there's a chance she could've found something, but I have no idea what.

I don't think this will give you any encouragement but this is very weird because I had the exact same thing happen to one of my fawn/white runner ducks in November. She was lethargic, just standing around. Didn't move when I went to pick her up. Didn't eat etc. She had always been fine and very healthy I thought.

I set up a pen for her in our dining room because that was during one of the times when we were having a bad cold spell. Doesn't everyone have a duck in their dining room?

She was warm, had water and food but wasn't interested. All she did was just stand there or lay down. Poop was like yours. I gave her b-complex, calcium gluconate, baytril, and activated charcoal (not all at once) and ended up tube-feeding her.

She was in the house for a couple of weeks and died in my arms after a tube feeding. She weighed practically nothing by that time. I have no idea what was wrong. She did have a suspect bumble on her foot as yours does but it just didn't look bad enough to cause what was going on.

There is an avian vet in Marietta but unfortunately, he was on vacation so I couldn't bring her in. If you want his name let me know.

I don't think this will give you any encouragement but this is very weird because I had the exact same thing happen to one of my fawn/white runner ducks in November. She was lethargic, just standing around. Didn't move when I went to pick her up. Didn't eat etc. She had always been fine and very healthy I thought.

I set up a pen for her in our dining room because that was during one of the times when we were having a bad cold spell. Doesn't everyone have a duck in their dining room?

She was warm, had water and food but wasn't interested. All she did was just stand there or lay down. Poop was like yours. I gave her b-complex, calcium gluconate, baytril, and activated charcoal (not all at once) and ended up tube-feeding her.

She was in the house for a couple of weeks and died in my arms after a tube feeding. She weighed practically nothing by that time. I have no idea what was wrong. She did have a suspect bumble on her foot as yours does but it just didn't look bad enough to cause what was going on.

There is an avian vet in Marietta but unfortunately, he was on vacation so I couldn't bring her in. If you want his name let me know.
I'm sorry that happened to your duck. I hope it doesn't happen with mine. She seems to have perked up a little but still isn't interested in eating much. She's been eating some peas, but that's about it. I have some antibiotics on hand for my goats, would that be safe to give to my duck?

I'm sorry that happened to your duck. I hope it doesn't happen with mine. She seems to have perked up a little but still isn't interested in eating much. She's been eating some peas, but that's about it. I have some antibiotics on hand for my goats, would that be safe to give to my duck?
Just out of curiosity, what feed have you been using?

Back
Top Bottom