sick duck?

whisner00

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 23, 2010
Hi Everyone!

I have three peking ducks and I've had them since Easter as ducklings. They wander my yard during the day. One of them that was fine yesterday is a little slow today and I can't usually walk up to it but this evening I can walk right up to it before it senses me and walks away. I've noticed that the eyes are closed until it notices me. It doesn't walk standing tall it kind of walks low to the ground it this makes sense. I apologize if I sound confusing. This is the first time I've had ducks and I am worried about this one. Any ideas, help etc. would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Apart from the "sleepyness" is there anything else you can tell about the duck.... has it been eating and drinking as normal- and are the droppings normal??

Male or female ? If female has it laid any eggs yet?

It may be that it has injested something toxic- from your description. But could be a number of other things as well.

The droppings aren't messy and I am not sure if it is a female or a male. I did feel around the underneath of it because I thought maybe it was eggbound but nothing is swollen or tender to the touch. It is wobbly doesn't stand up all the way walks a like this too and I can walk right up to it. I'm not sure about the drinking and eating today as I wasn't home today and this evening is when I noticed it not feeling well. Yesterday he/she was all over the yard and doing great. He/she does close its eyes from time to time and I don't usually see that. I thought maybe it got into something toxic but we really don't have neighbors and we use nothing toxic in our yard. Thanks for answering my post...I am worried and hate if it is not feeling well. Didn't know if I should bring it inside for the night. Our vet is an hour away and would like to use this as a last resort.

Back
Top Bottom