Sick duckling! Help!

coldstreamherbal

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 19, 2010
I went to check my ducklings this morning and there is one who is really unsteady and disoriented seeming. I thought maybe she got chilled over night so I sat with her snugged up in my sweatshirt to warm her up. She won't drink any water and kind of shakes her head back and forth. When I was holding her a few times she shut her eyes and flopped her head against my arm. When I put her down she sort of stumbles around until finding a place to settle. There was a little bit of liquid dripping out of her nostril. Any and all ideas appreciated!

I am so sorry to read about your puny one.
hugs.gif

When I think of a sick duckling, I try to figure out whether it is something they ate (or didn't), an injury, or an infectious disease.

What is she being fed? If chick starter, she needs more niacin.

Are you able to monitor the temperature in the brooder?

How old is she?

How is her breathing?

Try to put its beak into water, deep enough to cover the nostrils. If it has something caught in its throat, that might help to clear it. It'll also help clear any gunk trapped in the nostrils if they haven't found/used the water source well. It might start attempting to drink right away if thats the case.

The ducklings are being fed unmedicated waterfowl starter, and the rest of them are bright eyed and bushy tailed (well, scraggly new feather-tailed). I tried dipping her beak in water and she blew some air bubbles but then just went back to being floppy and shaky. They are 2 and a half weeks old and I just moved them out from our house (they outgrew their cardboard box) to a glass greenhouse. It's very sunny and warm during the day, but gets cold at night. I've made them a little hidy hole for night time - a big piece of cardboard propped up with a heat lamp inside and some fabric over the top. I'm going to get a second lamp today in case this is from getting too cold at night... Ayiyiyi, there is nothing sadder than a sick duckling!

I recommend an inexpensive dial-type min-max thermometer. They don't have mercury in them, and you can see how cool and how hot it has been since you last looked.

It needs to be around 80 degrees F, not much warmer, not much cooler, unless they all stay away from the heat. I have eleven, and some are near the warmest part, some farther away from the warmest place. But the room stays at least 70 for now, so that is the coolest it can be.

I also suggest you try some vitamins with electrolytes as a boost, especially since eating and drinking aren't working out right now. I cut a roundish hole at the edge of an 8 ounce plastic food tub, put some vitamin mix in there, and provide it to anyone who seems puny, as I hold them. After I know they have had some, I set it down so the others can have some, also (a little vitamin electrolyte boost occasionally seems like a good thing to me).

Can you bring the duckling in, keep it warmer, give it a little more attention?

Were you able to get an additional heater, and do you have vitamins or apple cider vinegar?

I also posted a response to your other topic.

Back
Top Bottom