Sick Duckling

Howitz

In the Brooder
May 27, 2020
Hello,

Need some help.

I have five 7 week old Peking ducks. All was well until today. One duck was limping but also has feathers on the underside that look tattered.

we feed a starter food that was recommended for fowl other than chickens. We provide clean water (they like to make it dirty) so not sure what to do.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• BDE3AC4B-1F34-4C92-8EFD-9D4973A4FE38.jpeg
    BDE3AC4B-1F34-4C92-8EFD-9D4973A4FE38.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • 0F7DFF5F-3482-40E4-A57C-E78540732522.jpeg
    0F7DFF5F-3482-40E4-A57C-E78540732522.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 8
Welcome to BYC!

Your duck is in very critical condition. I would first get her off that gravel, and take her inside in a dog kennel with soft bedding with food and water. DO a full external examination of her body, check for bruising, wounds, bumblefoot, etc. If you do see something, take a picture and post it here. I would start off by cleaning her eye's with 1/8 teaspoon per cup saline wash, after that apply an ophthalmic gel around the eye, to prevent the sticky eye from happening again make sure she has access to deep water 24/7.

Given her breed, and state of health, I wouldn't be surprised if she is niacin deficient, so I'd also start her on Durvet B complex, 1ml a day over treats for good leg health. Read here for more info,

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

We'll need to tend to her current problems first, but she's going to need a bit of supportive care and exercise to get her back on her feet.

I'm not sure what brand you are feeding, but she should be fed either an All Flock Type Feed, or a feed formulated specifically for waterfowl.

Yes, she was only on the gravel when I took her picture. She was in her own pen last night, nice and comfy. I am now looking at stores locally to see who carries the medication. We have Tractor Supply about 20 miles away but also some other stores that are closer that may carry it as well.

How long before we see a difference?

Yes, she was only on the gravel when I took her picture. She was in her own pen last night, nice and comfy. I am now looking at stores locally to see who carries the medication. We have Tractor Supply about 20 miles away but also some other stores that are closer that may carry it as well.

How long before we see a difference?

If you read the thread I linked most of your questions will be answered.

Could be a week maybe less maybe more just depends on how bad she is. Just get it ASAP so she can get started on full recovery. Give her some quality swim time each day so she can exercise her legs and the water will take the weight off of them. Help her in an out if she needs it. Don’t want to make it hard for her. 1 ml over a tasty treat so she gets full dose daily. When you find the liquid b complex it will say injectable but just pull off the foil and use a syringe of dropper to pull out what you need.

Back
Top Bottom